Ensuring students achieve career success
The Career Center is excited to have parents and families as part of our Falcon network to support career development. They recognize the unique challenges of searching for opportunities and are here to ensure your student achieves career success. Their mission is to engage, educate and empower your student to attain their career goals.
This past academic year we had over 24,000 student and alumni interactions and offered nearly 350 events and workshops to support our mission.
As we continue to connect your student with our employer partners, we want to ensure you are informed about the resources and services available to support their co-op, internship or employment needs. We encourage your student to take advantage of the following:
- Schedule an Appointment: Encourage your student to sign up for one of our 15 appointment categories to support their co-op, internship, part-time and full-time employment search needs. They can schedule an in person, phone, or video appointment by logging into their Handshake account and selecting Career Center > Appointments.
- Create a Handshake Profile: Ensure your student completes every section of their Handshake profile – students with complete profiles on our recruitment platform are 5x more likely to be contacted by a recruiter.
- Upload a Resume: Confirm your student has submitted their resume for review on Handshake and requested feedback from our team. Once their resume is approved, they can use it to easily apply for future opportunities.
- Search for Jobs: Ask if your student has set up job filters to search and apply for our 14,614 current position postings on Handshake. We continue to add new positions daily, so we encourage them to check back often.
- Build a Strong Network: Support your student in expanding their professional network and connecting with other students and alumni on Handshake to ask questions about their career path, organization, or employment opportunities.
- Get a Professional Headshot: Encourage your student to stop by the Career Center every Friday from 1-3 p.m. to receive a free professional headshot for their LinkedIn and Handshake profile.
- Connect with Employers: Ensure your student follows some of our 48,192 companies on Handshake to stay updated on current and future position openings. Recruiters often check who is following them, so it helps students get connected and ensure they receive notifications.
- Complete the FOCUS Self-Assessment: Confirm your student has taken the FOCUS self-assessment to explore career options that fit their interests, skills, values, and personality.
- Attend an Event: Ask if your student is registered to attend one of our upcoming virtual workshops or webinars in Handshake to engage with our team and employers in their field of interest. You can view our events calendar to find out more.
- Participate in a Mock Interview: Support your student in practicing their interview technique with a video mock interview on Big Interview that tailors questions to their specific industry, position, and experience level.
We also hope you will stay informed of updates by following us @bgsucareers on Instagram and Twitter. We value your partnership in encouraging your student to connect with our Career Center early and often to prepare them for career success throughout their time at BGSU and beyond!
Still interested in learning more? You can check out our latest Falcon Career Spotlights, which features current students and alumni on their career journey!