The Lesson Study approach is a method of professional development that encourages teachers to reflect on their teaching practice through a cyclical process of collaborative lesson planning, lesson observation, and examination of student learning (Lenski, Caskey, & Anfara, 2009). Lesson study allows teachers to view teaching and learning as they occur in the classroom. Research has shown that with time and district support, lesson study has built strong teacher professional learning communities within schools and ultimately result in instructional improvement and increase in teachers’ knowledge with focus on the student and the content (Stewart & Brendefur, 2005).
Lenski, S. J., Caskey, M. M., & Anfara, V. A. (2009). Using the Lesson Study Approach to Plan for Student Learning. Middle School Journal, January 2009.
Stewart, R., & Brendefur, J. L. (2005). Fusing lesson study and authentic achievement: A model for teacher collaboration”, Phi Delta Kappan, May 2005.
- Allison Goedde
- Gabriel Matney
- Jeremy Nadler
- Nancy Patterson
- Cindy Ross
- Joanna Weaver
Work in Partner Districts
- Weaver, J. C., Huang, R., Matney, G., Painter, C.; R.Huang, N. Helgevold, J. Lang, & H. Jiang (Eds.). (2022). Teachers’ learning through a cross-cultural lesson study in China and the USA. Teacher Professional Learning through Lesson Study in Virtual/Hybrid Environments: Opportunities, Challenges, and Future Directions. Singapore.
- Weaver, J.C., Matney, G., Goedde, A.M., Nadler, J.R. and Patterson, N. (2021). Digital tools to promote remote lesson study. International Journal for Lesson and Learning Studies, 10(2), 187-201. Publication Link
- Matney, G., Fox, M., Knapke, S., Murray, M. (2020, March). Lesson study and teacher’s dialogue about SMP 5. In J. Cribbs & H. Marchionda (Eds.), Proceedings of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning (pp. 100-107). Las Vegas, NV.
- Boonsena, N., Inprasitha, M., Changsri, N., & Matney, G. (2019). Teachers learning about teaching practice in a modify lesson study. Psychology, 10, 977-988. Publication Link
- Nadler, J., Weaver, J., Matney, G., & Patterson, N. (2022, September). Advancing the Connections of Essential Skills and Interdisciplinary Teaching with Teacher-Candidates. 2022 World Association of Lesson Study Conference. Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Malaysia.
- Goedde, A., Weaver, J., & Matney, G. (2022, March). Lesson Study: How Teacher Learning Communities Improve Instruction. Teaching and Learning Summit 2022, Bowling Green State University.
- Fong, J., Weaver, J., & Matney, G. (2022, January). Using Social Justice with Math & Science Frames to Integrate Students’ Critical Reflection Skills: A TS4A Lesson Study. Project IMPACT Winter Virtual Conference: Educators for Impact Reaching All Learners.
- Goedde, A., Weaver, J., Matney, G., Nadler, J., and Patterson, N. (2021, June). Digital Tools to Promote Remote Lesson Study. International Society for Technology in Education Live 21 Conference.
- Matney, G., Fox, M., Irick, C., & McCavitt, J. (2021, April). Investigating Teacher Knowledge about SMP1 through Lesson Study Dialogue. Poster presented annual meeting of the annual meeting of the American Education Research Association. Orlando, FL.
- Fox, M. & Matney, G. (2021, February). Preservice Teachers’ Perceptions of Lesson Study: Thai versus U.S. Context. Paper presented at annual meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning. Denton, TX. (virtual)
- Weaver, J., Matney, G., Goedde, A., Nadler, J., and Patterson, N. (2021, February). Lesson Study: Collaborative Learning, Planning, and Reflection Promotes Student Learning and Strengthens Instructional Practice. Ohio Council of Teachers of English Language Arts 2021 Spring Conference.
- Goedde, A. Weaver, J. C., Matney, G., Nadler, J. R., Patterson, N. (2021, January). Lesson study promotes collaboration. Project IMPACT Conference, Bowling Green, Ohio.
- Matney, G., & Bostic, J. (2020, October). Exploring Problem Solving Assessment through Lesson Study Paper presented virtually at the annual meeting of the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Cincinnati, OH.
- Weaver, J. C., Matney, G., Goedde, A., Nadler, J. R., Patterson, N. (2020, October). Lesson Study Promotes Innovative Pedagogy and Student Learning. Ohio Conference of Teacher Education Organization.
- Matney, G., Fox, M., Knapke, S., & Murray, M. (2019, September). Teacher dialogue about mathematical practices occurring in the debriefing phase of Lesson Study. Paper presented at the meeting of the World Association of Lesson Study conference. Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Updated: 08/05/2022 09:37AM