The BGSU Conceptual Framework represents a shared vision that philosophically and practically guides all educator preparation/development activities; the framework conveys the values, expectations, and standards that define what is unique about BGSU candidates
The BGSU Professional Education Unit is comprised of all programs that prepare teachers and other school professionals to work with PreK-12 students
Educator Preparation Mission Statement: Together we empower the future
The BGSU goal is to empower our educator candidates to act in various capacities to make a positive impact on the future of learners, clients, and colleagues
Toward that end, we hold the following as guiding concepts:
P = An effective educator is broadly and thoroughly prepared.
R = An effective educator is a reflective practitioner.
E = An effective educator is actively engaged within the larger educational community.
P = An effective educator is foremost a professional, with life-long commitment to learning and to all learners.
BGSU Candidate Proficiencies
- The proficiencies do not represent isolated, separate types of mastery; knowledge, skills and dispositions across numerous categories interact to effect professional performance involving varied educational situations, clientele and purposes
- Assessment of professional educator proficiencies accumulates across the entirety of candidates’ programs and may take unique forms appropriate to the nature and/or level of the particular preparation/development program
The BGSU Candidate Proficiencies:
- Mastery of professional content including subject matter and the skills necessary to apply that knowledge effectively in practice
- Effective planning and practice that reflect commitment to a fair, inclusive and supportive educational environment in the belief that all students can learn
- Reflection on practice to improve practice, incorporating feedback from others
- Sensitivity and responsiveness to diverse students and those with exceptional needs facilitated by knowledge of learner and environmental factors that impact educational success
- Appropriate selection and utilization of educational and adaptive technology for varied educational purposes including assessment
- Pursuit of collaborative opportunities and engagement with colleagues, parents/guardians and community in learning, planning and educational practice
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical and professional standards and dispositions and to life-long learning that enhances professional development