Name: Dakota Patton
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Minor: Sexuality Studies
Anticipated Graduation Date/Graduation Date: May 2016
Nominating Professor: Dr. Laura Landry Meyer, Associate Professor, Family and Consumer Sciences
Activities, Honors, Experience, Awards:
- Program Coordinator at Bowling Green High School
- Vice President of Vision, the Umbrella LGBTQ
- Mentor, BGSU Falcon Leadership Institute
- Member, BGSU Vision Panel Program
- Peer Listener, BGSU Listening Post
- Volunteer, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Northwest Ohio
Dakota Patton was nominated by Dr. Laura Landry Meyer for his ability to apply research and theory to the field. This semester, Patton is collaborating with Jennifer Dever, English teacher at Bowling Green High School, on implementing a program called Intersections in conjunction with select high school students. The program focuses on intersectional identities and how students interact with their own identities. Patton incorporated coursework and theory learned in the classroom to apply this program to a real world setting.
Following graduation, Patton plans to pursue an internship in Chicago next summer before starting a career working with youth or starting a graduate program.