2019 SUMMER LITERACY INSTITUTE
An immersion program designed for non-degree students
Ohio Board of Regents Criteria
The Ohio Board of Regents has set the following criteria for admission to any reading endorsement program across the state:
- Current Ohio Educator License
- Baccalaureate degree completion prior to enrollment
- Completion of 12 semester hours of reading coursework before being admitted for ECE, MCE and ISS or 9 semester hours for AYA, multi-age or career technical
Ohio PreK-12 Reading Endorsement Requirements
All Ohio Programs must include:
- 15-21 Semester Hours
- 100 field hours or six semester hours
- Field experiences across P-12 grade levels
Programs MAY include a maximum of 25% undergraduate credit. BGSU allows ONE (1) undergraduate course to count for the endorsement.
To obtain the BGSU Pre-K Reading Endorsement Certificate, all endorsement courses must be completed at the graduate level.
The BGSU program is approved by the Ohio Board of Regents. The courses in the Summer Literacy Institute also serve as the core coursework for the BGSU Master of Education in Reading degree.
Online Institute – Spring Start: March 1, 2019
Online Institute – Summer Start: April 26, 2019
Face-to-Face Institute – April 26, 2019
- Preference given to registrants for entire institute
- Must have access to high-speed Internet connection for Online Institute options
Approximate Cost – $6,200 (for Summer 2019)
Fees subject to change by Board of Trustees
*Assessment and practicum courses require access to early childhood, middle childhood and adolescent struggling readers.
Complete the BGSU Summer Literacy Institute – Online or Face to Face
Pass the Ohio Assessment for Educators 038 and 039 subtests I and II and you will be eligible to apply for a PreK-12 Ohio Reading Endorsement and may qualify for the BGSU PreK-12 Reading Endorsement Certificate.