The Educational Leadership program at Bowling Green State University prepares educators to meet the most challenging issues facing school districts today. Our graduates lead in a variety of educational roles from classroom teachers and building principals to district consultants and administrators.
The goal of the Educational Leadership program is to develop educational leaders who can lead so that students learn, regardless of their role. So, whether you desire to lead as teacher or to lead as an administrator, our leadership program will give you the tools to “lead where you are” and to lead so that students learn.
Multiple Program Delivery Options
To meet a variety of student needs there are three convenient program delivery options*
- 100% online option: All courses are offered 100% online. NEW OPTION FALL 2018 !
- Blended online option: Each class meets three times face-to-face per semester (first week, midterm week, finals week).
- Custom option: BGSU will deliver a program to your district and customize the course offerings to focus on the unique needs of your district.
- 100% on-line option. Classes offered in the 100% online option are presented on the Canvas learning platform. The online sessions are a mix of asynchronous and synchronous sessions in their presentation depending upon the course. New Option Fall 2018!
- Blended on-line option. Classes offered in the blended online option meet three or four times face-to-face (first week, midterm week, finals week) with 12 or 13 online sessions presented on the Canvas learning platform. The online sessions are a mix of asynchronous and synchronous sessions in their presentation depending upon the course.
- Customized option. Classes offered in the customized option are customized to the specifications of the site (JVS, ESC, School District). Classes can be any combination of on-line and face-to-face and can range from 100% on-line to 100% face-to-face. Please contact Paul Johnson at 419-372-7377 or email@example.com for more information about creating a customized option.
Experienced, Knowledgeable Faculty
Our program is comprised of faculty who are leaders in the field of education. They have extensive experience as principals, superintendents, curriculum directors, directors of regional education centers, special education directors, guidance counselors, school psychologists, legal consultants, board of education members and teachers. They continue to serve the education profession through their teaching, service and research as well as through leadership roles in educational organizations.
CONVENIENT ONLINE BLENDED DELIVERY
Classes are offered in an online, blended format. Most classes will meet 3 or 4 times face-to-face (first week, midterm week, finals week) with 12 or 13 online sessions. Typically, the online sessions are asynchronous in their presentation, meaning that students are not expected to be at the computer at the same time from their homes or other work place. Face-to-face classes provide an opportunity for dialogue and reflection, and the online component offers a significant amount of flexibility and personalization.
NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED QUALITY DELIVERED LOCALLY
The M.Ed. in Educational Leadership program at BGSU is NCATE-accredited and nationally recognized as a member of the University Council for Educational Administration, a consortium of higher education institutions committed to advancing the preparation and practice of educational leaders for the benefit of schools and children.
In 2014, Bowling Green State University’s programs in educational leadership were nationally recognized by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) for effectively integrating the following leadership skills, practices and dispositions into our coursework:
- Visionary leadership
- School culture and instructional leadership
- School management and organizational leadership
- Community collaboration and leadership
- Ethical leadership
- Political and legal leadership
Our leadership program is committed to enhancing students’ understanding of leadership as a shared endeavor. This collaborative effort is essential to transforming education organizations into authentic learning communities where the guiding leadership principle is grounded in the belief that the purpose of leadership is the improvement of classroom instruction and student learning.
An Important Message for Classroom Teachers
While many of our students desire to become educational administrators sooner rather than later, others desire to become effective classroom teachers who occupy important leadership roles in their buildings, districts, and communities. Our leadership programs will give you the leadership knowledge, skills, and dispositions to be an effective leader regardless of your role.
Even if you do not pursue administration immediately, should an opportunity arise in your future that leads you to a position in administration, you will not only be licensed but will also be well-prepared to lead.
If you want more information, please consult one of the links at the top of the page. If you have specific questions and would like to get in touch with a member of the faculty at BGSU, fill out the form below!