Applying for Graduate Study in HMSLS
- Fall admission: February 1
- Spring admission: October 15
*Applications for admission are accepted year-round. Completed
application materials (including GRE scores) submitted by the
deadline will be given priority in the admission and funding
process. Students whose credentials are received after this date
will be considered on a space-available basis.
Admission and Assistantship Prerequisites
- A degree from an accredited undergraduate college/university
- An undergraduate overall grade point average of 2.7 for admission
- An undergraduate overall grade point average of 3.0 for a Graduate Assistantship
- International Students: For additional requirements, see the International Student Services Graduate
When you submit your application, the following components will be
1. Personal Statement
- 2-3 pages reflecting on your educational and career goals
- Include the program you wish enter (Leisure & Tourism, Kinesiology or Sport Administration)
- If you want to focus your studies in a specific specialization within a program (e.g., marketing, sport psychology, exercise physiology, tourism, etc.), include that information
- If there is a specific person you would like to study with, name that person as a potential advisor
3. Three letters of recommendation
- Recommendations should attest to your academic accomplishments as an undergraduate student and predict your potential as a graduate student
- Recommendations from past or current professors are preferred
- Avoid requesting recommendations from coaches, athletic trainers, employers or other individuals unless they can directly assess your potential as a graduate student
- Scanned copies of official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended can be uploaded
- Upon admission, final official or notarized copies of transcripts from all institutions where degrees were earned (showing dates when the degrees were conferred) and diplomas from international institutions must be submitted
5. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores
- GRE scores are to be sent to Bowling Green State University using the code 1069
- GRE scores must be submitted by the
- For sport administration students, GMAT scores may be submitted as an alternative to GRE scores
6. Academic writing sample
- Academic writing sample may be a paper submitted for a previous class
- Also can be any paper written in an academic style
Review of Applications
- Upon receipt of all required application documents (including GRE scores), the graduate faculty in your area of specialization will evaluate your credentials for admission and funding.
- Students are admitted when a graduate faculty member selects you as an advisee.
- Applications received by February 1st of the year of admission will be given priority in the admission and funding process.
- Students whose credentials are received after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Graduate student admission is typically completed in late February.
- Graduate assistantships are usually awarded by the end of March.