Welcome to the exercise science program page at Bowling Green State University. We are a nationally accredited program in northwest Ohio located 30 minutes south of Toledo. Our program offers students the opportunity to study with accomplished and dedicated faculty who prepare you for a range of health science careers. Most popularly, our students go on to work in areas such as corporate and private fitness, physical and occupational therapy, athletic training, cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation, strength and conditioning and personal training. The exercise science major at BGSU features foundational and professional courses that prepare you to think critically, communicate clearly and effectively, appreciate human diversity and become an exercise or health science leader of the future. Our program boasts a low faculty-student ratio, which allows you to get to know your professors and presents many opportunities for learning beyond the classroom. Our program ensures you can “do what you know.”
As an exercise science student, you will actively participate in hands-on laboratory experiences within our state-of-the-art exercise physiology and biomechanics/motor behavior laboratories. One of the greatest strengths of our program is our students’ participation in field experience opportunities in a professional exercise or health science setting. We regularly have students work with Verizon, Owens Corning, Progressive Insurance, USAA Insurance, University of Toledo Medical Center, St. Luke’s Hospital in Maumee, Blanchard Valley Hospital in Findlay, St. Rita’s in Lima, Cleveland Clinic Hospitals and dozens of other sites in Ohio and throughout the region and across the country.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Understand the interdisciplinary nature of kinesiology
2. Observe, analyze, and critique various movement patterns and their outcomes, integrating the information from the sub disciplines of kinesiology
3. Demonstrate proficiency in technology utilization and verbal and oral communication
4. Demonstrate attainment of a high level of personal physical well-being and personal excellence in an active and healthy lifestyle
5. Display clear, logical thinking in their writing and speaking