Apparel Merchandising & Product Development (AMPD)
Apparel Merchandising and Product Development is a comprehensive program that focuses on preparing future professionals for exciting, challenging and fast-paced careers in the fashion industry. The program aspires to be an outstanding learning community for developing individuals and shaping the future through learning, discovery, collaboration and personal growth.
About the program
In our nationally ranked program, students learn skills specific to apparel merchandising and product development, for example: fashion buying, styling, product line conception, and analysis of trends. Our students complete internships with merchants, product developers and retailers at store and corporate levels. Our faculty encourage students to visit international and domestic fashion hubs such as Columbus, Chicago, New York City, Paris, London, Milan, Tel Aviv and Sydney. Students in our program learn in a brand new workshop and classrooms in the Gertrude Eppler Complex and have the opportunity to study at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, NY.
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Apparel Merchandising and Product Development are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and analyze textile and apparel products for the target market.
- Understand the scope and challenges of the textile and apparel industry in the global market.
- Demonstrate the ability to collect, evaluate, analyze, and synthesize information for problem solving.
- Understand the impact and application of technology to produce development, merchandising, marketing, and production.
- Demonstrate professional attitudes, abilities, and skills necessary to function as team members and/or leaders.
- Demonstrate the ability to verbally and visually communicate and present ideas in an organized, professional manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and analyze merchandise plans to control inventories and profits.
Accreditation and/or Program/Cluster Review
Bowling Green State University [BGSU] is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. BGSU has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 01/01/1916. The most recent reaffirmation of accreditation was received in 2012 - 2013. Questions should be directed to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The Apparel Merchandising and Product Development program will go through its next Program/Cluster Review during the Academic Year 2021-22. For more information, click here.
Professional Licensure (If applicable)
Bowling Green State University programs leading to licensure, certification and/or endorsement, whether delivered online, face-to-face or in a blended format, satisfy the academic requirements for those credentials set forth by the State of Ohio.
Requirements for licensure, certification and/or endorsement eligibility vary greatly from one profession to another and from state to state. The Apparel Merchandising and Product Development program does not lead to professional licensure.
Gainful Employment (If applicable)
Under the Higher Education Act Title IV disclosure requirements, an institution must provide current and prospective students with information about each of its programs that prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
The Apparel Merchandising and Product Development program is not a recognized occupation that requires a Gainful Employment disclosure.