Hyun Kyoung Ro
Dr. Hyun Kyoung Ro
Position: Assistant Professor
Address: 310G Education
HESA Faculty since 2015
Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University , Higher Education (Minor: Educational Psychology, Applied Measurement)
M.A., Korea University , Educational Administration
B.A., Korea University , Education
College student experiences and outcomes, program assessment and evaluation in higher education, quantitative research methodologies, science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) education
Teaching at BGSU
CSP 6800: Assessment in Higher Education and Student Affairs
Ro, H. K., and Loya, K. I. (2015). The effect of gender and race intersectionality on student learning outcomes in engineering. The Review of Higher Education, 38(3), 359-396. DOI: 10.1353/rhe.2015.0014
Ro, H. K., Merson, D. S., Lattuca, L. R., and Terenzini, P. T. (2015). Validity of the contextual competence scale for engineering students. Journal of Engineering Education, 104(1), 35-54, DOI 10. 1002/jee.20062.
Ro, H. K., Terenzini, P. T., & Yin, A. C. (2013). Between-college effects on students reconsidered. Research in Higher Education, 54(3), 253-282.
Knight, D. B., Lattuca, L. R., Kremer, G. E., Yin, A. C., York, T. T., & Ro, H. K. (2012). An exploration of gender diversity in engineering programs: A curriculum and instruction-based perspective. Journal of Women and Minorities in Engineering and Science, 18(1), 55-78.
Carter, D. F., Ro, H. K., Alcott, B. M. and Lattuca, L. R. (Conditionally accepted). Co-Curricular connections: The role of undergraduate research experiences in promoting engineering students’ communication, teamwork, and leadership Skills. Research in Higher Education.
Ro, H. K., and Knight, D. B (Conditionally accepted). The interaction of gender and college experience: Influences on learning outcomes in undergraduate engineering. Journal of Engineering Education.
Ro, H. K., Knight, D. B, and Loya, K. I. (Under review). Exploring the Moderating Effects of Curricular Experiences on the Learning Outcomes of Minority Students in Engineering. Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering.
Lattuca, L. R., Knight, D. B., Ro, H. K., & Novoselich, B. C. (Under review). Promoting interdisciplinarity: Identifying student experiences and faculty cultures that support the development of engineers’ interdisciplinary competence. Journal of Engineering Education.
Service to the Profession
· Reviewer, ASHE, AERA, & AIR Conference Proposals [2011-2015]
· Co-chair, Penn State Higher Education Student Association, Professional Development [2009-2010]
· Association for the Study of Higher Education
· Association for Institutional Research
· Research Designer and Analyst, Carnegie Mellon University, Provost Division, Institutional Research and Analysis [2011-2015]
· Instructor, University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, Administrative and Policy Studies 
· Graduate Research Assistant, Pennsylvania State University, Center for the Study of Higher Education [2008-2011]
· Research Analyst, Center for Education Statistics and Information, Korean Education Development Institute, Seoul, Korea [2006-2007]