Ph.D., University of San Diego, Leadership Studies
M.A., Teachers College Columbia University, Organizational Leadership
B.A., Cabrini College, Philosophy
What I Am Up To Lately
2021 marks my 15th year in the field of higher education and student affairs. I look forward to the opportunities this milestone offers me and the opportunities to continue to grow as a scholar in the field. I continue my research on student affairs professionals who have experienced unemployment in their careers, the practices of leadership on college campuses, and the continued development of social justice capacity in folks who hold dominant group identities. I also look forward to continuing to teach Multicultural Leadership in the Leadership Minor, Functions and Foundations of College Student Personnel and working with folks in 6890 and Practicum experiences, and Postsecondary Students in the United States as part of the Higher Education Administration program.
McLaughlin, C.P. (chapter under review). Leadership in transgression: Teaching to Transgress and the Social Change Model of Leadership. In C. McGregor & S. Bedi (Eds). Diverse Leadership Landscapes: Exploring the Terrain. Kingston, Ontario: Queen’s University Press.
McLaughlin, C. P. (2020). Holding on in moments of not knowing: Disequilibrium, reflective judgment, and practicing adaptive leadership. In M. R. Johnson & K. M. Soria (Eds)., Evidence-based practices to strengthen leadership development. (New Directions for Student Leadership no.168, pp. 53-62) Jossey-Bass.
McLaughlin, C.P. (2020). Knowing beyond the boundaries: The ongoing possibilities for the use of transgressive teaching in out-of-classroom learning spaces in higher education. In C. B. Newman, A. A. Hilton, B. Hinnant-Crawford, & S. Platt (Eds). Multicultural Education in the 21st Century: Innovative Research and Practices. Information Age Publishing.
McLaughlin, C.P. & Kunk-Cziaplicki, J. A. (2020). Review of “Leadership: Theory and Practice” (8th ed.) by Peter G. Northouse. Journal of College Student Development.
McLaughlin, C. P. (2020). Professional organizations supporting student affairs professionals who are experiencing unemployment. ACPA Developments, June 2020. Retrieved from https://developments.myacpa.org/2020/06/
McLaughlin, C.P. & Newman, C. B. (2018). We could be heroes. About Campus, 22(6).
Teaching at BGSU
CSP 6010: Foundations and Functions of College Student Personnel
CSP 6035: Multicultural Competence in Student Affairs
CSP 6800: Colleges and Universities in Film and Fiction
CSP 6890: Supervised Field Experience in College Student Personnel
CSP 6970: Practicum in College Student Personnel
HIED 7310: Postsecondary Students in the United States
LEAD 1000: Foundations of Leadership (Undergraduate)
LEAD 2020: Multicultural Leadership (Undergraduate)
Recent Conference Presentations
- McLaughlin, C. P. (2021). Student affairs professionals experiencing unemployment. Symposium. ACPA- College Student Educators International annual conference. Virtual.
- Olcima, D. & McLaughlin, C. P. (2020). Lead with You. Bowling Green State University Fall Undergraduate Leadership Conference. Bowling Green, OH.
- McLaughlin, C. P. (2020). Professional organizations and support for student affairs professionals experiencing unemployment. ACPA- College Student Educators International annual conference. Nashville, TN.
- McLaughlin, C. P. (2020). Student affairs professionals who have experienced unemployment. Symposium. ACPA- College Student Educators International annual conference. Nashville, TN.
- McLaughlin, C. P. & Johnson, A. J. (2020). Unemployment in student affairs and higher education: A critical, dual autoethnography. ACPA- College Student Educators International annual conference. Nashville, TN.
- McLaughlin, C. P. (2019) Student affairs professionals’ experiences of unemployment and support. Roundtable session. Association for the Study of Higher Education Annual Conference, Portland, OR.
- McLaughlin, C.P. (2019) Exploring experiences of unemployment in student affairs and higher education. Symposium. ACPA- College Student Educators International annual conference. Boston, MA.
- McLaughlin, C.P. (2019). Experiences of Unemployed Student Affairs Professionals. Research paper session. ACPA- College Student Educators International annual conference. Boston, MA.
- Borland, K. W. & McLaughlin, C. P. (2019). Meta-Conceptual Leadership Mapping Improves Teaching, Applying, and Researching Leadership in Education. Conference on Academic Research in Education. Research Lecture session. Las Vegas, NV.
- McLaughlin, C. P. & Borland, K. W. (2019). A journey through and to leadership. Ohio College Personnel Association conference. Practice session. Worthington, OH.
Service to BGSU
- EDHD Inclusion and Diversity Committee 2019-Present
- CSP Admissions Committee 2019-Present
- HESA Representative, EDHD Graduate Curriculum & Program Committee 2019-Present
- Graduate Curriculum & Program Committee, HESA Representative 2019-Present
- College Student Personnel MA Admissions Committee 2019-Present
- Higher Education Administration PhD Admissions Committee 2018-2019
- Falcon Flock Social Justice Leadership Program, Mentor 2018-2019
- HESA Department Library Representative 2018-Present
- HESA Department Merit Committee 2018-Present
- HESA Department Diversity Retreat Planning Committee 2018
Service to the Profession (Selected)
- Member of the Directorate for ACPA’s Commission for Professional Preparation
- Reviewer for ACPA’s Developments
- Reviewer for the Journal for Critical Scholarship on Higher Education and Student Affairs.
Previous Professional Experience
University of San Diego 2013-2018
o Lecturer, Department of Leadership Studies
o Special Assistant to the Associate Provost, Center for Inclusion and Diversity
o Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Leadership Studies
University of California, San Diego 2011-2015
o Residence Life Coordinator, Roger Revelle College
o Program Assistant, Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center
o Program Assistant, Women’s Center
o Program Coordinator, Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center
San Diego State University 2008-2011
o Residence Hall Coordinator, Residential Education Office
Cornell University 2007-2008
o Residence Hall Director, Office of Campus Life Residential Programs
- ACPA-College Student Educators International 2008-Present
- Association for the Study of Higher Education 2013-Present
- College Student Personnel Association of New York State 2007-2008
- Conference on Academic Research in Education 2018-2019
- Ohio College Personnel Association 2018-2019