Educator of the Year Award
The Educator of the Year Award was created to recognize a Bowling Green State University alumni for excellence in the field of education. Nominees may include teachers and administrators who hold current licensure in any area of PreK-12 education or administration, and who are actively working full-time in the field.
*Includes alumni with a minimum of a Baccalaureate degree, working in any public, community or private school setting; includes art education, physical education, music education, general education, special education and administration.
The selection panel will narrow the field down to three finalists. Each finalist must be willing to participate in an in-person interview and prepare a 10-minute presentation for the EDHD Leadership Council in March. Presentation topics will be given to the finalists during the interview. All finalists are invited to attend the spring Capstone Day, held the first Monday in May on the BGSU campus, and participate in the alumni panel. The Educator of the Year Award winner is invited to provide the keynote address at the event.
*Finalists who are unable to travel to campus for an in-person interview will be interviewed through Skype.
More about the nomination and selection process
- Download and complete this form.
- Submit a one-three page narrative to the review panel. Narratives should provide information detailing how the nominee demonstrates the vision and mission of the College of Education and Human Development, specifically by:
- Developing a dynamic community of lifelong learners;
- Leading by celebrating the interconnections among individuals and disciplines;
- Pursuing improvement of society and the human condition;
- Professional Development Experiences, Activities, and Association Memberships;
- Cultural/Extra Curricular Activities, Volunteer Work, etc;
- And/or, making a positive impact on the development of individuals, families, communities and other schools.
- All nominations must be electronically received or post-marked no later than January 31, 2017.
- All nomination materials must be complete in order for the nominee to be considered.
Nominators may include colleagues, supervisors, current or former students or parents/guardians of former students. Nominations from family members of the applicant will not be accepted.
Submit all nomination materials online, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Jessica Gast at the address below:
444 Education Building
Bowling Green, OH 43403
A review panel will select three finalists from all nominations submitted before the deadline (January 31). The panel consists of:
- Director of School of Teaching and Learning or designee
- Director of the School of Intervention Services or designee
- Program coordinator of Physical Education Health Education or designee
- Chair of Music Education or designee
- Chair of Art Education or designee
- Executive Assistant to the Dean
- Coordinator of Professional Development and Educational Outreach
The review panel will contact the three finalists by phone a few weeks following the nomination deadline to notify them of their status as a finalists and to set up an interview. Further communication to finalists will be sent via email.
All finalists are asked to participate in an in-person, 30-minute interview with the EDHD Leadership Council on March 3, 2017. Finalists unable to travel to campus for the interview will be interviewed via Skype. Finalists must also prepare an oral response to a prompt given given to the candidate at the end of their formal interview. Candidates will have 10 minutes to prepare a response to the prompt for presentation to the advocate board.
The final selection panel, which consists of members of the Leadership Council and the Dean of the College of Education and Human Development, will review all three finalists’ nomination materials and presentations before selecting the winner of the Educator of the Year Award.
The winner of the Educator of the Year award will receive a $1,000 cash award to be used for classroom supplies or professional development. In addition, the winner will be invited to give the keynote address at the Spring Capstone Day on the campus of Bowling Green State University where they will be presented a commemorative award. Finally, the winner’s name will be added to the Educator of the Year plaque that is housed in the Dean’s office of the College of Education and Human Development.