The Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy (PLA) Scholarship Application deadline is Monday, December 9, 2019 for students entering BGSU in fall 2020. Applications received after this date will not be accepted.
Only graduating high school seniors are eligible to apply.
Applicants will receive an update of their status via mail by January 30, 2020.
Applicants who receive a phone call will be invited to campus for an on-campus interview with PLA on February 1, 2020.
The application and selection process for the PLA is detailed and has several steps. Please read our admissions timeline and program requirements carefully.
Scholars selected to the Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy [PLA] will have various and significant responsibilities and commitments. To retain membership it is critical the scholar remain in good standing through dedication to these obligations. Failure to maintain good standing may result in dismissal from the program and loss of the scholarship.
Prior to the First Semester
- Scholars must participate in the PLA Summer Program (early July through early August, only the summer before the first year).
- Scholars must pass all summer program courses.
- Scholars are expected to commit to four years of attendance at BGSU regardless of previously earned college credit.
During the Academic Year
Each PLA Scholar must participate, at a minimum, in the following required activities for all four years of their college experience:
- One-on-One meetings with a member of the PLA professional staff (once a month)
- Monthly PLA Forum meetings (Fridays, 5:30-7:00pm)
- Bi-weekly Cohort meetings
- Study Tables (two hours, three times a week during the first semester of the first year and any subsequent semester that the cumulative GPA falls below the PLA requirement)
- PLA Fall Retreat
- PLA Family Weekend Reception
- PLA Spring Banquet
- A minimum of 10 community service hours per semester through group and individual projects. Projects must demonstrate service to the BGSU community.
- PLA Service Project(s)
- Membership in at least one student organization (serve in an executive board position during 3rd and 4th years)
- LEAD 1000 and COMM 1020 in the first year
- Earn and maintain a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average
- Remain in good standing with Bowling Green State University (academically and socially)
- Additional requirements exist depending upon academic year and scholarship type.
Prior to Applying
A candidate interested in applying to the Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy (PLA) must first be admitted to Bowling Green State University (BGSU). We recommend submitting the BGSU Admission Application no later than November 11, 2019 to allow time for the Admission’s Office to review the university application. Candidates must be admitted to BGSU in order to apply for the scholarship. The PLA scholarship application deadline is Monday, December 9, 2019. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. All applicants must have a FAFSA on file with the Student Financial Aid Office to remain in consideration by January 15, 2020.
Application Evaluation Process
A Selection Committee comprised of university and community representatives will evaluate your application in various categories that focus on previous experiences and future leadership potential. Offers will be extended for a campus interview based on the quality of the application and assessment of criteria within the application. All candidates will be contacted by PLA staff by mid-January 2020 with a decision on the status of their application.
PLA Interview Day
A candidate receiving an invitation to interview for the PLA will be expected to attend the PLA Interview Day on Saturday, February 1, 2020 during which time the PLA interviews will be conducted. The PLA interview will take approximately 5 hours. The candidate's interview provides us an opportunity to learn more about the candidate and, if selected, what he or she would contribute to the PLA, the BGSU campus, and the Bowling Green local community during his or her participation in the program.
Selection Recommendations and References
Final recommendations from the Selection Committee will be considered after the PLA Interview Day. The recommendations will be compared with reference feedback provided in the candidate's application.
Final Offers Made
All interview candidates will receive their final status by late-March, 2020. The offers to participate in the PLA will be extended at this time. Once a candidate receives their offer, it is imperative that they returns a signed copy of the scholarship agreement to the PLA in a timely manner. Failure to return the agreement within the time allotted will result in a withdrawal of the offer.
Accessing the Application
Applicants for the PLA must first be admitted to BGSU.
Once admitted, click or follow the instructions below to apply. Alternatively, prospective scholars can access the application by following the steps below.
- Creating their BGSU username and password
- Logging into the MyBGSU portal (https:/my.bgsu.edu)
- Clicking on the financials icon
- Clicking on the scholarship opportunities icon
- Clicking on the opportunities tab at the top of the BGSU scholarship search page
- Searching for the “President’s Leadership Academy”
Completing the Application
The PLA application is connected to the general BGSU scholarship application for current BGSU students. It has several components so do not get discouraged if you cannot fill out every section.
Although you may complete all areas, the only components the selection committee will review are:
- Extracurricular activities, community service, and volunteer involvement – please be as comprehensive as possible
- Two essay questions:
- What do you know about the PLA, why are you interested, and how will you demonstrate PLA values?
- How would others describe you as a servant leader?
The admissions committee will not review other areas of the scholarship application (employment information, essay on goals, aspiration, and career objectives, academic honors, study abroad, or other considerations), so please leave them blank or enter “N/A”. You may return to the application to complete these areas for other BGSU scholarships at a later date.
Tips for Completing the Application:
- The application requires the completion of two essays and a comprehensive list of all of your involvement.
- You can submit up to 10 entries for the extracurricular/community service/and volunteer involvement for the general scholarship application portion. When you you access the PLA-specific portion, you will be able to add additional entries (see details in the sample application link below).
- When completing the essay, thoroughly respond to the prompt. We recommend writing the essay in advance and asking someone you trust to review it and give you feedback.
- The essay should be error free and written clearly. We recommend writing the essay in a word document to check for grammatical and spelling errors then copying and pasting your submission into the application.
- Before submitting your completed application, please review it carefully. You cannot print the application nor can you access the application once it is submitted.
- When submitting, we recommend that you continually save your work on the application website.
Checklist for Completing the Application
- Apply to BGSU (recommended by November 11, 2019).
- Once admitted, create your BGSU username and password.
- Log into your MyBGSU portal to access the PLA Scholarship Application.
- Draft your essays and compile your list of extracurricular activities.
- Submit your application by December 9, 2019.
- File your FAFSA by January 15, 2020.