Honors Learning Community
The Honors Learning Community (HLC) is a place of residence for those who wish to pursue great conversation and big ideas with others. It’s an open atmosphere of students who are interested in all things a University can provide. From art to business, music to philosophy, dance to chemistry, and creative writing to math. This cosmos of passionate and learned students wish to excel through mentorship, guidance, discovery, adventure, and conversation.
Statistics and Information:
Honors College students are not required to live in the HLC. If a student chooses to be part of the HLC as a first year student, they are required to live in Founders Hall.
As living in Founders Hall is also open to returning HLC students, space in the HLC is limited. First-year students who are interested in requesting a spot should complete each of the following steps early to be considered. These steps can be completed in any order:
- Be accepted to the Honors College. To access the Honors application, visit their website.
- Be accepted to the HLC. To request enrollment in the HLC, click on the "Enrollment in this Community" orange button below
- Pay his/her $200 Housing Initial Payment - available through MyBGSU
- Participate in funded, annual trips to Chicago or Stratford
- Visit local museums and enjoy cultural attractions
- Receive free books for ongoing book discussions
- Access to “The Den” on the ground floor of Founders Hall
- Events are held there throughout the semester
- Location (and hall to live in): Founders Hall
- All residents, including requested roommates, must be members
- Freshman – Senior students
- First and Second-year Students | $200 per semester
- Third and Fourth-year Students | $75 per semester and serve in a leadership role.
Each community has a set of residence hall rooms specifically designated for them. To sign up for one of these rooms, you must apply, and be accepted into the community, prior to April 25, 2018. To ensure your chance to live in the community, please complete the following steps:
||Complete your housing application|
|Step 2||Apply here and login with your BGSU username and password|
|Step 3||Click on Add a New Community Enrollment Request and choose your desired community and academic year/term|
|Please Note||Students can only apply for two communities on there own. If you want to apply to more than two communities, please contact the additional communities you are interested in so they can apply for you. If you have applied for two and change your mind, go into the system and withdraw yourself from the one(s) you are no longer interested in. This will open up a space for you again.
After you have submitted your request to join a community, you will receive an email from the community director approving your request. When it’s time for you to select your room in the next phase, you will be able to view and select rooms within the designated community space in the community’s residence hall. For example, if you choose to join the Chapman Learning Community, you will select a room in Kohl hall.