Hall Closing Check-Out
Basic Closing Information
- All students must check out within 24-hours of their last completed final.
- Complete the Spring 2021 Departure Form just before departing campus (the link for the online form is available at the front desk).
- If your last final is after 10 a.m. on Friday, you must check out by 10 a.m. on Saturday.
- All students must update their mail forwarding address through their MyBGSU account.*
*Learn more under the Check-out Procedure tab.
Students who need to remain on campus for graduation should complete an Extended Stay Request form at the front desk of their residence hall by 4:30 pm April 23.
- Hall Directors will notify the student if they have been granted approval on April 28.
- Students who receive approval for an extended stay must check out
by 2 pm on Saturday
- Extended Stay requests are only granted for:
- Graduating Seniors
- Students participating in graduation
- Dining services workers who MUST work after their finals
- Students should completely clean their room and any common spaces they occupy. - See the Cleaning Procedures Tab.
- The last student to leave should follow the Leaving After Check-out process located under the Cleaning Procedures Tab.
- Once a student is completely moved out, they must go to the Front Desk and complete the following:
- Turn in room key and mailbox key (if needed) in the Check-Out Form/Envelope. Failure to return keys may result in a lock change fee.
- Complete the Check-Out Form that is printed on the envelope and turn it in at the designated location at the front desk.
- Once keys have been turned back in, access will no longer be allowed.
- Complete the Spring 2021 Departure Form using your BGSU login information - this step must be completed before you leave campus.
- On-campus housing residents will be responsible for any damage/cleaning found after a full inspection. See the Damages Tab.
All on-campus residents must provide a mail forwarding address for the summer by Sunday, May 2.
- You can update your address by logging in to your My BGSU account and going to: Student Center > Profile > “Addresses” Tab.
- Update the Mailing Address listed or click the plus sign under “Mailing Address” if one is not listed.
- After you have found the address tab, update the address type to ‘Mail’. -Or -Select 'Add a New Address' if address type ‘Mail’ does not exist.
- After this is complete, your mail will continue to be forwarded through Friday, August 6.
- Pack and remove all personal items from your residence hall room.
- There is no summer storage available in the residence halls.
- Personal items left behind will be considered abandon property. Remember to take your bike home.
- Items that are in good condition, and no longer wanted, can be donated to When You Move Out. Collection boxes are available in lobbies.
- Basic cleaning supplies will be available at the front desk.
- Take out all room trash and recycling.
- Dust desks, closets, cabinets, etc.
- Clean the toilets, showers, tubs and sinks in the bathroom(s)*
- Vacuum and sweep.
- Clean out and check all drawers for remaining belongings.
- Do not leave trash, cardboard boxes and personal items in the hallways, recycling bins or outside the building.
- Deposit trash in dumpsters or trash chutes and large items should be carried to designated locations.
* For Centennial Hall, Falcon Heights, and Founders Hall only.
- All room furniture (including bed ends) needs to be in the room and in the correct location.
- All furniture needs to be moved back to the way it was at Move-in.
- Students will be billed for missing or damaged furniture.
- Damage Billing is determined by the room inventory completed at Move-In.
LEAVING AFTER CHECK-OUT
- Lock room window
- Set thermostat to 72 degrees*
- Do one last check under the bed, in the closet and in the drawers for personal items
- Ground floor rooms: close blinds/curtains
- Second floor rooms and above: open blinds/curtains
- Turn off all lights
- Lock the door and return check-out form/envelope with keys and PEDs to the front desk
- Complete the Spring 2021 Departure Form using your BGSU login information. Do not complete this form until you are ready to leave.
- Charges are inclusive of time, labor, institutional grade materials and professional facilities staff who complete the work.
- Any repair work completed by the occupant prior to moving out will be assessed by our facilities staff. Repair work that does not meet our facilities standards will be fixed and the student will be responsible for all associated charges.
- Resident Advisors will make an initial assessment of potential billing during the standard check-out process. Hall Directors will make an assessment of the final charges after the halls close.
- Emails will be sent to students BGSU account outlining any damages they have been billed shortly after the residence halls have closed. Included in the email will be a copy of the final room inventory form.
- Charges will be applied to the student's BGSU Bursar account and may be viewed through their MyBGSU account. Students are responsible for payment of these charges. Payment can be arranged with the Bursar’s Office.
- Lock replacement, broken keys, broken keys in lock, missing keys
- Broken closet door(s)
- Broken light lens(es)
- Bent or broken window blind slats
- Broken window (glass, frame, locks, etc.)
- Cut, torn, missing or ripped mattress
- Small holes (10 or more), large holes, sheet rock damage (punching, hammers, slamming furniture into the wall)
- Stained or ripped carpet
- Mold or dirty tiles, grout and caulk
- Broken toilet tank, broken toilet seat
- Torn or missing window screen
- Broken mirrors
- Broken sink, broken faucet handle
- Failure to report maintenance issues in a timely manner that leads to leaks, mold, loose or missing grout or further damage
- Conditions that require excessive cleaning (removal of personal trash, stains, graffiti, scrubbing of fixtures, etc.)
Wear & Tear
- Worn out key, loose or stubborn door locks, sticky locks, loose hinges or handles on doors
- Closet door off track
- Discolored light lens(es)
- Faded window blinds or shades
- Sticky window
- Unraveling mattress seems, minor stains
- Small scratched, small holes (less than 10)
- Sun damaged carpet, minor traffic patterns showing
- Discolored tiles, loose or missing grout
- Loose toilet seat, toilet continues to run
- Window screen removed from window (if it can be replaced)
- Scratched or dirty mirrors
- Loose faucet handle
DAMAGE BILLING APPEALS
If the student being charged disagrees with the damage charges assessed, they have the option to appeal these charges in writing by end of business day Friday, June 4, 2021. They may appeal using one of the following ways:
- The student being charged can complete the Damage Billing Appeal Form
- A letter from the student being charged sent to the Office of Residents Life with the following information:
- Students full name and BGSU ID #
- Residence Hall and room number location
- Specific details regarding which charge(s) are being appealed
- Reason(s) you should not be charged
BGSU Office of Residence Life
Attn: Damage Appeal
470 Math Science Building
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Please note: Appeals will not be reviewed or accepted after the June 4 deadline. Letters must be postmarked by the deadline, in order to be considered.
- Damage Billing Appeals may be submitted five weeks from the Saturday closing date of the residence halls.
- Appeals during the school year may be submitted up to five weeks from the date of the damage billing letter.
- Damage Billing Appeals must be submitted by the student to whom the bill is addressed. Appeals submitted by other parties on behalf of the student may not be reviewed.
- Students who complete express checkout paperwork when leaving the residence hall, waive their right to an in person assessment of damages and any appeals of damage billing.
- Students are financially responsible for any bill that is not overturned.
- Failure to pay bills in accordance with university policy, before or after an appeal decision, may result in the amount being sent to collection.