WellAware is BGSU’s faculty and staff health and wellness program.
The program is supported and administered by the Department of
Recreation and Wellness, the Office of Human Resources, the College of
Health and Human Services, the College of Education and Human
Development, BGSU Dining Services and the Division of Student
Promote a culture of health and wellness to empower sustainable behavior change through:
- Transformational health opportunities that inspire intellectual and personal growth
- Encouragement of efforts to increase academic and career success, student and faculty/staff retention, and life-long learning
- Collaborative endeavors that support an environment where healthful choices are the easy choice
WellAware - Fall 2017 Programs and Events
Health Enhancement Program
Worried the holidays are going to weigh you down? Join the "Maintain, Don’t Gain" Challenge and receive accountability and motivation to engage in healthier behaviors this holiday season!
- October 23, 2017 - January 12, 2018
- Free to all BGSU
faculty, staff, and students.
individually or create a team. There is no limit to the number of
teammates you can have.
- Receive practical tips,
recipes, physical activity suggestions, and other information to
help you engage in healthier behaviors throughout the holiday
- Receive great workouts and opportunities to
participate in free instructor led classes.
- Attend a post-holiday ‘‘weigh-out’’ during the week of January 8. All teams or individuals who maintain or lose weight during the holiday season qualify for select raffle prizes.
Join the program by stopping in for one of the pre-holiday weigh-in
|Monday, 10/23||7 - 8:30 PM||Student Recreation Center|
Personal Training Office
|Tuesday, 10/24||7:30 - 9 AM||Business Administration 102|
|Wednesday, 10/25||11:30 AM - 1 PM||Education Building 114|
|Thursday, 10/26||4 - 5:30 PM||Student Recreation Center|
Personal Training Office
|Friday, 10/27||8:30 - 10 AM||Business Administration 1009|
|Monday 10/30||12 - 1:30 PM||Education Building 114|
|Tuesday, 10/31||8:30 - 10 AM||Business Administration 1009|
|Tuesday, 10/31||4 - 5:30 PM||Student Recreation Center|
Personal Training Office
Weigh-in times don't work with your scheduel? No worries! Contact Karyn Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an individual weigh-in or one in your office for you and your colleagues. Firelands employees and students: Contact Karyn Smith for details on how to join the challenge.
1 out of 3 American adults has prediabetes. If you have prediabetes, YOU CAN MAKE CHANGES now to improve your health and prevent type 2 diabetes.
The PreventT2 lifestyle change program can help you lose weight, become more physically active, and reduce stress. With PreventT2, you get:
· A proven program to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes
· A CDC-approved curriculum and trained lifestyle coach
· A year-long program with weekly meetings for the first 6 months, then once or twice a month for the second 6 months
· Support from others like you as you learn new skills
Join the PreventT2 program at BGSU:
· Begins September 5
· Weekly group sessions on Tuesdays from 5:15 – 6:15 PM OR Wednesdays from 11:30 – 12:30 PM in the College of Health and Human Services, Room 131
· Available to BGSU students, faculty, staff and community members.
· Cost for year-long program: $100. Receive $50 refund with successful completion of program (attending 80% of sessions)!
· Registration deadline is September 5
Register on-line or in-person at the SRC Welcome Desk.
· View the PDF for more information about the program.
Date: October 3
Time: 11 AM - 2 PM
Location: Union 202 - Lenhart Grand Ballroom
Wear your sneakers and enjoy a 30-minute walk around campus with great company featuring different leaders each month. Plus, earn the chance to win a gift card towards a new pair of walking shoes!
Past Walks and Leaders:
November 28, 2016
Dr. Marie Huff, Dean, and the Associate Deans, Chairs and Directors of BGSU’s College of Health and Human Services and the Optimal Aging Institute.
October 31, 2016
Dr. Thomas Gibson, Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice Provost, and the Student Affairs Council
September 26, 2016
Dr. Dawn Shinew, Dean, and the Associate Deans, Chairs and Directors of the College of Education and Human Development
The goals of this WellAware initiative are to:
- Highlight various leaders on campus
- Increase engagement of faculty/staff in that specific department
- Promote physical activity
- Foster leadership support for healthy living and creating a culture of wellness at BGSU
Have fun and stay active with colleagues, family and/or friends by attending fitness classes together at the Student Recreation Center. At a discounted rate, purchase an “After Work” pass and attend classes that start between 5 – 6 PM or purchase the full Group X pass and attend unlimited classes on the schedule. (SRC membership is not required). View the full schedule and details on the Falcon Fitness website
Walk your way to better health and fitness. Fit more steps into your day by walking at Eppler Track. Courtesy of School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies, the track is available Monday - Friday from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
Not available for Fall 2017.
Receive support and guidance to start and sustain a physical activity plan. Contact Karyn Smith at email@example.com to schedule a free fitness consultation and receive an individualized exercise plan.
Is your goal to become more active, feel better, and improve your health and fitness? Set yourself up for success by joining BG Be Fit, a beginner exercise program for BGSU faculty and staff. This free program is specifically designed to teach you the basic techniques of regular aerobic, resistance, and flexibility training. Program is available to male and females and the exercise classes can be tailored to your individual fitness level. Feel comfortable exercising with other beginners and receive the guidance and encouragement needed to start and continue a lifestyle of exercise.
Classes are available
- September 7 - December 7
- Date/Time: Thursdays, 12:10 – 12:50 PM
- Location: Eppler South Gym, located on the 2nd floor of Eppler Complex
Fitness Waiver – Prior to participation in the classes, you must complete this Online Wellaware Waiver. The Medical Clearance Form needs to be completed and returned IF you answer “yes” to one or more questions on the PAR-Q, consult your physiciain and provide a medical clearance form prior to participation. Bring completed Medical Clearance Form to the first class you attend or submit via one of these methods prior to attending your first class
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Mail: Karyn Smith, Student Recreation Center
Class Attire: For comfort and safety, it is recommended to change into athletic shoes and exercise clothes. If needed, locker rooms are available near the gym.
Take a short stress relieving break and participate in this free gentle yoga class. This low-impact class includes gentle stretches, balance, and breathing as well as movements designed to increase range of motion in joints, and relieve tension. Enjoy 5 minutes of mindful meditation at the end of each class. Feel free to come as you are or change into something comfortable; all that's needed is a yoga mat or towel. Registration is not required.
- Days: Tuesdays
- Time: 12:10 – 12:50 PM
- Location: Eppler South Gym
- Dates: August 29 - December 12*
- *October 10 - No Class (Fall Break)
- Instructor: Caroline Dawson
The IMPACT Employee Assistance and Work/Life Program is a benefit available to BGSU employees and their families offering access to confidential professional support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The program is free of charge, courtesy of BGSU. For more information visit Impact Solutions on the web. Your member login is: BGSU.
Search Community Meetings by zip code.
You can also get reimbursed for attending Weight Watchers Community meetings through Medical Mutual. You will need to contact Medical Mutual before attending meetings or purchasing monthly passes. Log into your account at Medical Mutual and follow the link for Healthy Living.