Quality Matters Online Courses and Programs
Quality Matters™ for Online Courses and Programs at BGSU sponsored and administered by The Office of Online and Summer Academic Programs (OSAP).
What is Quality Matters?
Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components. Quality Matters has generated widespread interest and has become a national standard in its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement in online education.
How does Quality Matters work?
Quality Matters (QM) provides a means of establishing and implementing peer reviews for online and blended courses. Course reviews, conducted by a team of Quality Matters trained peer reviewers, highlight good design elements and provide feedback on areas of improvement. A course that meets Quality Matters standards is awarded a nationally recognized Quality Matters official recognition.
The QM rubric:
The QM rubric consists of a set of forty specific elements based on research and established standards, by which to evaluate the design of online and blended courses. The web-based, fully interactive rubric is complete with annotations that explain the application of the standards and relationship between them.
Peer reviewing training:
Peer reviewers undergo training to utilize the rubric and review courses. After training, peer reviewers receive a listing in Quality Matters national database of course reviewers. Peer reviewers from the database can participate in QM course reviews state-wide and nationally.
Quality Matters at BGSU and the Ohio Consortium:
BGSU is a founding partner of a state wide consortium of 35 institutions including the Ohio Learning Network, who are implementing Quality Matters for the state of Ohio. BGSU is a peer reviewer training site and hosted the first Ohio Quality Matters training session.
Benefits to Quality Matters:
- Rigorous online and blended course design review helps to ensure the development and delivery of quality courses and programs.
- National recognition for BGSU courses which meet Quality Matters standards.
- Peer reviewer faculty training provides professional development and a national certification for faculty teaching online.
- Peer reviewers can participate with other institutions in Ohio and nationally in online course reviews.
Benefits to being a consortium member:
- Discounted rate on the annual Quality Matters subscription.
- Discounted (or eliminated) rate for a Quality Matters course review.
The Ohio QM consortium has agreed that members of the consortium who become peer reviewers will forgo payment for their services, which will greatly reduce the cost of having a QM course review.
- Peer reviewer training in Ohio (typically peer reviewers need to travel to Maryland for training).
Quality Matters Web Sites
The Quality Matters Emergency Remote Instruction (ERI) Checklist provides a list of considerations, tips, and actionable strategies to enact during an institutional move to temporary remote instruction of classroom-based courses. BGSU faculty are welcome to use this checklist.
Quality Matters also put together the QM Emergency Remote Instruction (ERI) Checklist video to help explain how to use the checklist.