Quality Matters™ for Online Courses and Programs at BGSU
Sponsored and administered by The Center for Faculty Excellence
Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components. Quality Matters has generated widespread interest and has become a national standard in its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement in online education.
Quality Matters (QM) provides a means of establishing and implementing peer reviews for online and blended courses. Course reviews, conducted by a team of Quality Matters trained peer reviewers, highlight good design elements and provide feedback on areas of improvement. A course that meets Quality Matters standards is awarded a nationally recognized Quality Matters official recognition.
The QM rubric consists of a set of forty specific elements based on research and established standards, by which to evaluate the design of online and blended courses. The web-based, fully interactive rubric is complete with annotations that explain the application of the standards and relationship between them.
Peer reviewers undergo training to utilize the rubric and review courses. After training, peer reviewers receive a listing in Quality Matters national database of course reviewers. Peer reviewers from the database can participate in QM course reviews state-wide and nationally.
The Center for Faculty Excellence has established BGSU as a founding partner of a state wide consortium of 35 institutions including the Ohio Learning Network, who are implementing Quality Matters for the state of Ohio. BGSU is a peer reviewer training site and hosted the first Ohio Quality Matters training session.
- Rigorous online and blended course design review helps to ensure the development and delivery of quality courses and programs.
- National recognition for BGSU courses which meet Quality Matters standards.
- Peer reviewer faculty training provides professional development and a national certification for faculty teaching online.
- Peer reviewers can participate with other institutions in Ohio and nationally in online course reviews.
- Discounted rate on the annual Quality Matters subscription.
- Discounted (or eliminated) rate for a Quality Matters course review.
The Ohio QM consortium has agreed that members of the consortium who become peer reviewers will forgo payment for their services, which will greatly reduce the cost of having a QM course review.
- Peer reviewer training in Ohio (typically peer reviewers need to travel to Maryland for training).
*To find out more about Quality Matters contact the CFE office via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (419)372-6898.