Safe Zone Training for Faculty
The Safe Zone workshop promotes awareness of LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer +) people. The workshop provides education concerning LGBTQ+ issues and seeks to improve the environment for LGBTQ+ people. This workshop helps to build a support network of allies for the BGSU LGBTQ+ community.
Workshop goals and learning objectives include:
- To increase awareness of LGBTQ+ people and issues.
- To help build a visible support network of LGBTQ+ allies on BGSU's campus.
- To introduce working definitions of LGBTQ+ terminology, symbols, and flags and to clarify misconceptions.
- To help clarify understanding of gender identity, gender expression/presentation, sex assigned at birth, sexual and romantic orientations.
- To explore topic of social construction of LGBTQ+ identities.
- To discover an understanding of heterosexism, homophobia, and transphobia.
- To learn about local LGBTQ+ resources and sources for continuing education.
Categories: Support and Inclusive Pedagogy.
Facilitator: Kathryn Stygles, Ph.D., Associate Director, Office of Multicultural Affairs
To our individuals with disabilities, please indicate if you need special services, assistance or appropriate modifications to fully participate in this event by contacting Accessibility Services, email@example.com, 419-372-8495. Please notify us prior to the event.