MLK Jr. Day of Service
11th Annual MLK Jr. Day of Service Food Drive
Saturday, January 19th and Sunday, January 20, 2019
The Brown Bag Food Project and the BGSU Center for Community & Civic Engagement are partnering to organize this year’s canvas for nonperishable donations for local food pantries. The need for food donations in our area continues to grow. Food pantries, unfortunately, are always in dire need of donations. Please help us to alleviate hunger for local families. We cannot do this without your caring and assistance. Participating food pantries include: Broken Chains, St. Aloysius, First United Methodist Church, St. Thomas Moore, and Brown Bag Food Project.
Volunteers are needed to:
- canvas Bowling Green to collect donations,
- sort donations, and
- help load donations.
Volunteers will meet at Grounds for Thought (174 S. Main St.) at the beginning of their chosen shift on either Saturday, January 19 between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm OR Sunday, January 20 between the hours of 12 noon and 6 pm. Please take a moment to sign up for a volunteer shift.
There are multiple ways to donate. Please refer to our list of preferred items for donations.
- Bowling Green Residents - Contact us and we'll send a group of canvasers to your doorstep on January 19th and 20th to pick up donations directly. Just call 419-960-5345 to add your address to the list. If you are not able to be home at that time, that's okay. Just leave your donations on the doorstep. If no one makes it to your door by 2pm on Sunday, January 20th, please drop off donations at Grounds for Thought by 6pm OR call the number above for pickup.
- Direct Drop Off - Drop off your donations at Grounds for Thought between 12 - 6 pm January 19th and 20th.
- On Campus - Drop off donations the week prior to MLK Day at the Center for Community & Civic Engagement in 100 University Hall.
- Monetary Donations - If you'd prefer to donate money you can make checks to "Brown Bag Food Project" and then the donations will be distrubted among participating pantries. You can use any of the methods above for dropping off your monetary donation.
The Journal on WBGU-TV: MLK Jr. Day 2019
Representatives planning various MLK Jr. Day events in Bowling Green discuss details and how to get involved to make MLK Jr. Day, "a day on, not a day off"