Data from the 2016 National College Health Assessment II indicate 11.9% of respondents said they had seriously considered suicide within the last 12 months and 1.4% had attempted suicide within the last 12 months.
Based on the 2013 NASPA Assessment and Knowledge Consortium Mental Health and Counseling survey, 7% of BGSU respondents reported that they experience thoughts of ending their life, 19% reported that they feel that they have no one who understands them, 27% stated that they are not satisfied with the quality of their friendships at college, and 30% report that they are not socially connected at college.
Students who have initiated services at the Counseling Center this semester report the following:
- History of suicidal ideation: 42%
- History of suicide attempt: 17%
- History of non-lethal self-injury: 29%
- Presenting concern affecting academics: 42%
- Considering leaving BGSU: 15%