RecycleMania is a friendly competition among college and university recycling programs in the United States & Canada. Each year, BGSU competes on a national level, while also hosting an on-campus competition to see which residence hall can recycle the most waste (calculated by pounds per student). The competition goes from February 4th - March 30th. Check back each week to see the Residence Hall competition standings as well as our national rank!
- Kreischer won with an average of 45.92 pounds of recycling per resident
- The average amount of recycling per resident was 28.32 pounds
- 4 out of the 8 participating residence halls produced over 20 pounds of recycling on average.
- “Per Capita Classic”- placed 28th out of 38 possible ranks ; measures the weight of recycling per person, without considering trash weight
Planned Events for 2019
Pizza for Recycling: offering pizza to residents who bring their full bin of recyclables to the lobby and recycle everything properly.
The Recycle-Cycle: Trivia educating students on recycling and contamination at BGSU and around the world. Answer correctly and win a prize! This takes place at the entrance of the BTSU that faces the clock tower.
Know Before You Throw: This is an interactive game allows students to play corn hole while learning about proper recycling. Know Before You Throw will take place at the entrance of the BTSU that faces the clock tower.
Caught Green Handed: Campus Sustainability intern visits residence halls and rewards those who are “caught” recycling.
Roaming Recycling/Green Sundays: performed in the residence halls, this is an educational initiative that allows for RA’s or Hall Directors to go door-to-door and engage their residents about recycling and sustainability.
Residence halls that have their own recycling programs during Recyclemania are the most successful and are encouraged to host numerous programs to educate students on the importance of recycling.
Kreischer takes 1st Place in 2018 Competition!
OFFENHAUER WINS RECYCLEMANIA 2016 COMPETITION!
Kreischer takes 1st place!
Caught Green Handed
People were rewarded if they were caught "green handed" while recycling their items. Prizes included gift cards, re-usable mugs, and more!
March 19th, a trash audit was scheduled be held to analyze how well BGSU is doing with recycling items; however, it was cancelled due to weather conditions.
Waste Diversion Competition
For the second year in a row, BGSU's total recycling numbers was compared to universities across the nation. BGSU ranked #116 in the competition.
BGSU finished with a comprehensive recycled rate of 23.59%, eliminated 462 Metric Tons of Carbon Dioxide (equivalent to removing 91 cars off the road), and recycled 56.222 lbs per capita in just 8 weeks!
BGSU's Waste Diversion Competition Results
- 180th in the Grand Champion section with a 23.143% recycling rate.
- 137th in Per Capita Classic with 11.88lbs/person recycled.
- 85th in the Gorilla contest with 227,892 lbs recycled.
- 88th in paper recycled.
- 41st in cardboard recycled.
- 41st in bottles and cans recycled.
About the Waste Diversion Competition
- Active program to sell or donate campus surplus property
- Promoting inter-office reusable envelopes for campus mail and review/improve campus systems for reclaiming extra envelopes for reuse
- Implementing campus printing initiatives which prohibit or discourage unlimited printing in computer labs and copy rooms (e.g. pay-per sheet pricing, etc.)
- Creating an office supplies exchange program on campus
- Offering discounts or other incentives for using reusable mugs in campus dining operations
- Creating and promoting a system for the campus community to report wasteful practices and offer suggestions for waste reduction
- Creating active program to educate employee and students about waste minimization practices (e.g. incorporating waste minimization information into new employee / new student orientation programs, giving regular presentations to campus groups and departments, setting up public displays, etc.)