Become A Peer Leader
The College of Business (COB) Peer Leader Program utilizes a select group of current students to help incoming first year business students transition to the COB and college life. Peer Leaders are knowledgeable and experienced guides, trusted allies, and caring role models. Their role is to provide information about BGSU and the COB, refer to appropriate people and campus resources, and help new students by sharing their own personal experiences and ways of overcoming obstacles. Peer Leaders also encourage new students to get involved and take advantage of the many academic, professional, and social opportunities in the COB and BGSU.
Meet the Peer Leaders for 2017.
Why be a Peer Leader?
Some benefits to becoming a Peer Leader include:
- Hands-on leadership training
- Leadership experience to include on resumes (and scholarship applications) and to share in interviews
- Recognition by the Dean, Business Faculty, and Staff as a top student leader
- Making a positive difference in the life of a new business students
- Peer Leader apparel for events
How do I become a Peer Leader?
Each Spring, the College of Business selects approximately 30 students for the Peer Leader Program. To be considered for the program, students must attend an information session and complete the application process.
After attending an information session, students who meet the qualifications below are eligible to submit application materials:
- Have one (or two max) semesters as a business student on the Main BGSU campus prior to applying.
- Must be pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree or Bachelor of Science in Economics.
- Must be available to serve as a Peer Leader for one year beginning in the summer following selection to the program.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and initiative.
Those selected as a Peer Leader are required to complete training sessions, and an orientation session during the Spring semester. Each Peer Leader is assigned approximately 20 first year students. Peer Leaders will connect with new students electronically during the summer prior to their freshmen year, meet with students after the Dean’s Welcome on Opening Weekend (Fall), and maintain regular contact with the students throughout the academic year.
What do I need to submit?
The final information session will be held on Thursday, January 18, 2018:
10:45-11:15 a.m. in 111 University Hall
Applicants may attend the session to apply and do not need to reserve a space ahead of time.
After attending an information session, please send a resume (including HS and BGSU GPA) and a personal statement (250 words or less) explaining why you would make an excellent Peer Leader for BGSU’s College of Business. All materials are sent to:
Dean Ray Braun
371 Business Administration
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403
OR via fax 419.372.2875 OR email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to apply is Friday, February 2, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Applicants will be selected based on an evaluation of application materials. It is anticipated that Peer Leaders will be chosen by March 1, 2018 and notified shortly thereafter.
For any questions about this program, please contact Kristen Krebs, faculty advisor, at email@example.com.