David Reid, Ph.D.
Dr. Reid’s expertise is in sales. He has over thirty years of experience developing sales professionals in both higher education and private industry. He has long been a champion for professional sales and has been instrumental in developing and establishing innovative university-housed sales programs.
His research focuses on identifying, studying, and providing solutions to the challenges that individuals and firms face every day in achieving superior sales performance. Currently, he is examining sales management practices used by sales managers to identify which sales management practices are used by managers of different sized sales forces. He is also investigating the key traits/competencies sought by companies in hiring salespeople and sales leaders. His research has appeared in such leading journals as The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Supply Chain Management, among others.
Dr. Reid is most proud of his curriculum development in the area of sales which have served as inspiration and model for other programs around the country. He led efforts to create the first separate major in sales, later the first separate degree in professional sales, and finally, the first Executive Master’s degree in sales leadership in the country.
As the former Director of the Edward Schmidt School for Professional Sales and Executive Director of the Russ Berrie Institute for Professional Selling, Dr. Reid has managed both academic sales units and a sales training unit.
Ph.D. State University of New York at Binghamton, 1988; Major - Marketing; Minor - Systems Science
M.B.A. State University of New York at Binghamton with a concentration in Marketing, 1978.
B.S. State University of New York at Plattsburgh in Business Administration, 1976.
- Executive Director – The Russ Berrie Institute for Professional Sales, William Paterson University, October 2007 – June 2008.
- Acting Executive Director – The Russ Berrie Institute for Professional Sales, William Paterson University, March 2006 – October 2007.
- Chairperson – Department of Professional Sales, William Paterson University, January 2005 – October 2006.
- Director/Founder – Savage & Associates Center for Advanced Sales and Marketing, The University of Toledo, April 10, 1998 – March 7, 2003.
- MBA Director, The University of Toledo, April 1, 1994 - June 30, 1996
- Director, Institute for the Study of Business Markets (ISBM) Affiliated Research Center, The University of Toledo, January 1990 - May 1992.
- Associate Professor of Marketing, Bowling Green State University, August 2008 – Present.
- Professor of Sales, William Paterson University, September 2004 – June 2008 (Received early tenure in 2006).
- Professor of Sales and Marketing, The University of Toledo, July 2001 – May 2005 (Promoted in Fall of 2001. On leave 2004-2005).
- Edward H. Schmidt Endowed Professor of Sales and Business Marketing, The University of Toledo, April 1998 – September 2003.
- Associate Professor of Marketing, The University of Toledo, July 1, 1994 – June 2001 (Received tenure and promoted in Spring 1994).
- Assistant Professor Marketing, The University of Toledo, September 1988-March 1994.
- Instructor in Marketing, Clarkson University, September 1984-June 1988.
- Lecturer in Marketing, Binghamton University, August 1981-August 1984.
- Instructor in Marketing, LeMoyne College, August 1978-August 1979.
- Outstanding Research Award, Recipient of the College of Business Outstanding Research Award, The University of Toledo, 2002.
- Wincott Research Fellowship, Buckingham University, Buckingham, England. April 26, 1998-June 19, 1998.
- Edward Schmidt Endowed Professor of Sales and Business Marketing, The University of
- Toledo, April 10, 1998 to September 2003.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Recipient of DeJute Memorial Teaching Award, College of Business, 1997.
- Reid, David A., Richard E. Plank, Robert M. Peterson, and Gregory A. Rich (Forthcoming) "Examining the Use of Sales Force Management Practices," Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing.
- Plank, Richard E., David A. Reid, and Steve Newell (2007), “The Impacts of Affective and Cognitive Social Conflict in Business-to-Business Buyer-Seller Relationships: A Comparison of New versus Ongoing Buyer-Seller Relationships,” Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 14 (2), 41-70. Accepted June, 2006.
- Plank, Richard E., Steve Newell, and David A. Reid (2006), “Organizational Buyers and Conflict: The Impact of Conflict on Ongoing and New Purchasing Situations,” Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 12 (1), 2-13. Lead Article.
- Reid, David A., Ellen Bolman Pullins, Richard E. Plank, and Richard E. Buehrer (2004), “Perceived Sales Interaction Conflict in Business-to-Business Sales,” Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 19 (4), 236-249. Lead Article.
- Pullins, Ellen Bolman, David A. Reid, and Richard E. Plank (2004), “Gender Issues in Buyer-Seller Relationships: Does Gender Matter in Purchasing,” Journal of Supply Chain Management, 40 (3), 40-49.