Paul J. Hooker Center Advisory Board
Paul J. Hooker Center Advisory Board
This Board of Advisors consists of highly successful entrepreneurs who work closely with the Paul J. Hooker Center director and the dean to promote the Center's programs and services to help others launch new business ventures.
Position: President, Owens-Illinois HealthCare Packaging (Retired)
Joe Conda retired after 47 years of dedicated service to the pharmaceutical industry. He began his pharmaceutical career in 1969 when he joined Brockway Glass Inc., in Brockway, Pennsylvania, as a drugstore detail person selling prescription packaging. Transitioning with the company throughout the acquisitions, Conda served in a series of increasing leadership and management assignments and responsibilities.
He is currently on the Board of Counselors for the University of Findlay, is active as an advisor and industry collaborator for their College of Pharmacy and the College of Animal Science for the University of Findlay and is additionally a member of the Toledo Opera Endowment Board. He will continue to serve on pharmacy school advisory Boards, coaching and mentoring pharmacy students from the business vantage point, as well as the BGSU Schmidthorst College of Business students.
- President, Owens-Illinois HealthCare Packaging
- Consultant, Rexam
- Senior Vice President/Strategic Plan and Business Development, H.D. Smith, Inc.
- President of H.D. Smith Specialty Solutions, H.D. Smith, Inc.
- Executive Vice President, Office of the Chairman, H.D. Smith, Inc.
- Board of Advisors, University of Toledo College of Pharmacy
- Board of Advisors, Xavier University College of Pharmacy in Louisiana
- Foundation Board (chairing its Investment Committee), Bowling Green State University
- Chairman, Hospice of Northwest Ohio Board of Trustees
- Master’s degree in Finance, Darden School of Business Administration at the University of Virginia
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and Marketing, Rutgers University
- 1998 Healthcare Distribution Management Association Nexus Award (then known as the Tim Barry Award)
- 2010 National Chain Drug Store Association Harold Pratt Award
Joseph J. Fisch, Jr. '71
Position: Founder, President & CEO, United States Beverage, LLC
- Has over forty years of experience in the premium alcoholic beverage industry.
- After graduating from BGSU, Fisch began his business career in the Management Trainee Program at Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, Inc., the world-wide leader in wine and spirits sales based in New York City.
- During his twenty-five year career with Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, Fisch held various senior executive positions within Seagram's premium spirits and beverage divisions.
- Early in his career he became the company’s youngest Regional Vice President at the age of thirty, managing the Chicago-based Central Division of Seagram’s specialty import brands company: The General Wine & Spirits Company. Three years later, Fisch was elevated to the Seagram Corporation’s largest spirit unit, The Seagram Distillers Company, managing its most profitable Eastern Division based in New York.
- In 1989, Fisch was promoted to Senior Vice President Central Division based in Chicago of the newly created House of Seagram, which managed the corporation’s entire spirits portfolio. In this position, Fisch developed and oversaw aggressive growth and increased market share within the industry. In 1991 he returned to New York to oversee the House of Seagram’s most profitable spirits unit, the Atlantic-Pacific region.
- In 1993, Fisch was appointed to the title of President of the Seagram Beverage Company. During his tenure, he created and initiated a strategic plan to expand the company into the high-end craft and imported beer sectors, while at the same time, recreating the company’s flagship Seagram Cooler portfolio of brands.
- Fisch redefined Seagram’s corporate role within alcoholic beverages and the company’s competitive set. With the importation of Grolsch from Holland, (one of the leading Dutch beers nationally), and creating a joint venture with the Boston Beer Company (the maker of Samuel Adams), Fisch directed Seagram’s entry into the beer business.
- BS, Business Administration, specializing in marketing, 1971, Bowling Green State University
- Fisch was inducted into the Dallas-Hamilton Hall of Fame in 2013.
Position: Retired President, SFERRA Fine Linens
Founder, Rally Cap Sports
Seagirt, New Jersey
Paul J. Hooker was the CEO of SFERRA Fine Linens in New York City for 35 years before becoming Board Chairman in 2013 when he sold a controlling interest to an equity partner. Paul graduated from BGSU in 1975 with a BS Degree in Business Administration. Upon graduation, Paul worked for Armstrong World Industries as a marketing representative in Jacksonville, Florida. In 1977, he purchased SFERRA and the company experienced dramatic growth over the years under Paul’s leadership, selling to over 600 retail stores in North America and internationally.
In 2010, Paul was recognized as one of the top 100 graduates in BGSU’s first 100 years, and he was inducted into the BGSU Dallas-Hamilton Entrepreneurial Hall of Fame in 2012.
States Paul; “I love to share my business and life experiences with the students of Bowling Green State University, and serving on the Schmidthorst College of Business Paul J. Hooker Center Advisory Board allows me to help impact the future entrepreneurial growth of our great university.”
Earle Malm '71
Position: President, NVMLI, Inc
San Ramon, CA
- Earle Malm is one of the pioneers of E-Commerce. As Vice Chairman and President of ValueClick, an online advertising company now known as Conversant, Earle was instrumental in defining business strategy, developing key management and successfully completing the company initial public offering in March 2000.
- Earle began his career with RCA where he held Senior Executive positions in Sales, Marketing and General Management. He was responsible for revitalizing RCA’s Consumer Services business, expanding RCA’s Commercial Television business and leading the development of new business ventures into communications and services businesses.
- Prior to joining ValueClick, Earle embarked in the investment industry with GT Capital Management, Inc. Initially he was responsible for developing GT Capital’s Institutional Business and later he assumed responsibilities as Chief Operating Officer for the GT Global Mutual Funds.
- After successfully completing the ValueClick IPO, Earle returned to the investment industry as President and CEO of HighMark Capital Management, Inc., a wholly-owned registered investment advisory firm of Union Bank located in San Francisco. During his tenure, Earle was Chairman of HighMark’s Board of Directors, President of HighMark Funds and a Trustee of the HighMark Funds Board. In addition, he was a member of HighMark’s Investment Policy Committee and a member of Union Bank’s Fiduciary Management Committee.
- Since retiring from an active senior executive role in 2012, Earle has been devoting his time to entrepreneurial, consulting and advisory activities through NVMLI, Inc., his private investment company. He serves as a member of the Service Marketing Institute Business Advisory Board for the Schmidthorst College of Business Administration at Bowling Green State University (BGSU). He was one of five inaugural alumni investors in BGSU’s entrepreneurial program, “The Hatch”, a college version of the television show “Shark Tank”.
- BS, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in 1971 from Bowling Green State University. In 2008, he was honored as one of BGSU’S Accomplished Graduates from the Schmidthorst College of Business. He has been named to Who’s Who in Finance and Industry.
Mike McDaniel '01
Position: Senior Managing Director, Accenture Operations
Mike McDaniel is the senior managing director for Accenture Operations Acquisition and Integration. In addition to his responsibilities in the area of industrialization of pre and post-acquisition activities, Mike also leads Accenture Operations’ Global Sourcing and Procurement business, with a team of 4500 employees sourcing $137B of spend and managing over 22,000 sourcing projects per year.
Prior to his current role, Mike led operations for the Americas and delivery excellence globally. He also led Accenture’s Utilities services business, leading a team of more than 4000 employees delivering meter to-cash and customer care solutions to 15 global utility clients. Before joining Accenture in 2006, Mike held vice president roles at two Aerospace businesses, overseeing outsourcing operations. Prior to that, Mike held engineering positions at a leading motor vehicle manufacturing company and logistics company.
He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Toledo, a Master of Business Administration degree from Bowling Green State University and is a certified Six Sigma Black Belt. Mike is based in Phoenix, Arizona where he lives with his wife Michele and three children–Justin (20), Jillian (16) and Jared (13).
J. Douglas Miller
Position: Partner, Shumaker, Loop, & Kendrick LLP
J. Douglas Miller, a founding member of the Fraser Clements Martin & Miller LLC, an intellectual property law firm near Toledo, OH. He is a mechanical engineer and registered patent attorney licensed in the State of Ohio and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Miller counsels clients in a variety of patent-related matters including prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications, infringement studies, clearance studies, freedom-to-operate studies, trademark, copyright, trade secret, technology transfer, transactional matters, and related intellectual property matters. Mr. Miller has extensive experience in a variety of technologies including fuel cell systems, battery systems, casting systems and processes, forging systems and processes, metal forming systems and processes, blow molding systems and processes, automotive components, climate control systems, compressors, heat exchangers, block fittings, seals, bearings, shafts, fins, lubrication, driveline components, optics, noise control and abatement, tubing, valves, refrigerants, fluid transfer, interiors, electronics, lighting, hospital and medical equipment, and others.
Mr. Miller earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering and a Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Toledo College of Law, and served as a Technical Editor for the University of Toledo Law Review. Mr. Miller is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Ohio and the United States Supreme Court, and is a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Ohio.
Prior to forming the firm, Mr. Miller worked as an environmental engineer/manager and solvent recovery system manager for a chemical compounding facility and a project engineer in the chemical process group with a global engineering consulting firm.
Position: President/CEO, Seidman Fisher & Company
- Seidman founded Seidman Fisher & Company, a private consulting firm located and he also serves as a consultant for a private equity investment firm based in Warsaw, Poland.
- Seidman is a retired managing director and principal of Emerging Ventures Limited with over thirty years of experience in investment management worldwide. His specialty is working with “middle market” companies in the US and Europe. Seidman’s primary European focus has been Poland.
- He also was an investment manager for Venture Capital Group, a subsidiary of Allstate Insurance Company and a management consultant for McKinsey & Company.
- From 1962-67 he worked for the Continental Illinois National Bank of Chicago.
- BS, Economics, 1960, Babson College
- MBA, Specialization in Finance, 1962 University of Chicago
Luke Sims '15
Position: Executive Director
New York, New York
Luke joined RallyCap Sports following graduation from Bowling Green State University in May 2015 with his Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing and minor in Entrepreneurship. While at BGSU, he worked with founder Paul J. Hooker to expand RallyCap and begin the first university chapter. After graduation, he moved to New York City to begin working for RallyCap Sports. RallyCap has since expanded to seventeen chapters in six states, under Luke’s leadership as Executive Director. In 2015, Luke was awarded Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
Luke married his high school sweetheart, Libby, in their hometown Toledo, Ohio in 2015. Luke and Libby now live in Brooklyn, New York and enjoy travel, comedy and Broadway shows, pop culture and movies, Cleveland sports, and the diverse food scene in NYC.
Elsa Vos '15
Position: Founder, Elsa Leigh Designs LLC
Elsa Vos is the founder of Pieces of Me, a unique jewelry brand that makes beautiful, affordable jewelry with a purpose. There are over two dozen designs, each depicting a different personality trait that is integrated into the jewelry, allowing individuals to "wear who they are."
Vos started the company out of graphic design project at BGSU and participated in the Hatch program in 2015. Since then, she’s continued to grow the company and also started Elsa Leigh Designs, completing graphic design services for a variety of clients.