Arts and Sciences Registration Training
Understanding the tools for academic success.
We look forward to you joining us at BGSU. As you prepare to schedule your classes for next semester, we are offering some tools to help you succeed.
BGSU Arts and Sciences New Student Checklist
Welcome. BGSU supports and empowers new students and families in their transition to university life at BGSU and beyond. As part of your experience, the College of Arts and Sciences has provided guidance to help you become acclimated to academic advising. This checklist will help ensure you've completed everything you need to register for Fall 2020 classes.
_ Activate your MyBGSU account
_ Set up DUO Mobile system
_ If you have issues with login or setting up your account, contact our Information Technology Services at 419-372-0999.
_ Is your major correct? Check in your MyBGSU portal "Student Center" to CONFIRM YOUR MAJOR.
- If your major is incorrect, contact your advisor or the college office immediately at 419-372-2015
*It is important that you are able to login to your MyBGSU account because this is how you will review your account and emails.
Suggestions BEFORE Academic Advising Appointment
_ Make an advising appointment (review email from admissions on how to make appointment)
_ Review ALL modules (see left navigation links on this page). These will provide you with helpful information about advising, curriculum, A&S college information, etc.
* Be sure to watch all videos because they are full of helpful information.
_ Please contact your advisor if you have any questions.
- The name and contact information for your academic advisor can be found by clicking on the Student Center card in MyBGSU. Advisor information will be displayed on the Advisors tile.
_ Check your holds – There are numerous reasons why you may have a hold on your record that will prevent you from registering. Log into MyBGSU and select the Student Center card. Holds are located on the Action Items tile. If a hold exists, please click on the tile and select Holds from the left-hand navigation for more information.
- Once you have completed the Orientation, your New Student Orientation Hold will be removed.
- New students typically have a Financial Responsibility Hold. Only you can remove this hold by updating your information and reviewing the financial agreement:
- Log into your MyBGSU
- Select Student Center
- Select To Do List
- Select Financial Responsibility Agreement
- Complete all required tasks. Upon completion, you will receive a confirmation email that you have successfully completed the financial Responsibility Agreement.
- Log into your MyBGSU
_ Review schedule – Your advisor will email a schedule of suggested courses with instructions on how to register.
_ Make sure all official transcripts are sent to BGSU Office of Admission as soon as possible (high school, other colleges, AP, CCP, etc.)
TAKE YOUR PLACEMENT EXAMS–Placement Tests are NOT required for admission to BGSU. However,some BGSU courses may require a placement test—specifically our writing and foreign language programs.
_ Complete Writing Placement. You can access the placement using your BGSU username and password. The placement site can be accessed here.
- Check your BGSU email. Once your essay and revision plan has been evaluated you will receive an email with your placement result (placements take approximately 1-week to be evaluated).
_ Foreign Language Placement. Most College of Arts and Sciences programs require four semesters of a foreign language. If students do not have four years they may need to take this placement test. The online foreign language placement test (WebCAPE –Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish) can be taken on any mobile device, tablet, laptop, computer, etc.
_ Math Placement. Incoming first year students on main campus who have an ACT/SAT math score and a high school GPA on record at BGSU will be given an automated mathematics placement and will be notified by email to their BGSU email address. The automated mathematics placement will be generated shortly after you register for orientation or send in a housing deposit.
- If BGSU receives new ACT/SAT scores or a more recent high school GPA, your mathematics placement will be recalculated. Please let your advisor know if you are sending updated scores. If this improves your mathematics placement, you will receive an additional email notifying you of the new placement.
- Advisors will only communicate through your student email account.
- CHECK your BGSU email frequently.
- Save your Academic Advisor's email and contact information to use during your time at BGSU.
- Save the college office phone number - 419-372-2015.
- Begin to use your MyBGSU portal—you can review your course schedule, the academic calendar, bill and other information.
- View online Map to begin mapping our your schedule of courses..