Frequently Asked Advising Questions

Q. How can my student find their academic advisor and /or faculty mentor?

Your student should log into their MyBGSU web portal, click on the Student Center icon. Academic advisor and faculty mentor names and contact information are on the right side of this page.

Q. What is Mandatory Advising (MADV)?

College of Arts and Sciences students are required to meet with their Academic Advisor for four Mandatory Advising sessions to assist them in understanding degree requirements and to encourage personal responsibility for their educational careers. Your student will not be able to register for classes until meeting takes place. Most often, this meeting will take place in a group setting but your student is welcome to call the college office at 419-372-2015 to schedule an appointment.

Q. How does my student register for their courses?

Students will learn how to register for classes during their summer SOAR academic appointment. Thereafter, students can register on their own after attending a Mandatory Academic Advising (MADV) meeting.

Q. What is a Transition Review?

The Transition Review is a degree requirement check for students during their 4th semester or for those enrolled in 59 semester hours or less. This review is to assist students in planning their final two years of undergraduate study and is conducted by an academic advisor.

Q. How does my student stay on course in a four-year graduation plan? What courses does my student need to take each semester?

During your student’s SOAR appointment and the three mandatory advising meetings in subsequent semesters, he/she will be taught how to take control of their educational career by using Degree Audit Report, College of Arts and Sciences Handbook, a Checksheet, and Academic Plan.

Q. Can permission be obtained to register for more than 18 hours?

Permission for any overload must be obtained from the college office. Course registration in excess of 18 hours carries extra fees, please consult the Office of the Bursar.

Q. Can my student file an academic appeal to request an exception, substitution, or waiver?

Appeals requesting a variance in academic policy can be filed by visiting the college office and completing an appeal form. Students should state precisely and succinctly what they want in the first sentence. Two or three reason for why their appeal should be approved should follow the opening sentence. Relevant documents should be attached to the appeal. Students should not presume the appeals will be granted.

For curricular substitution requests, students must see their faculty advisor.

 Q. Are there scholarships available?

A variety of scholarship opportunities from both university and the College of Arts and Sciences are available in one application process through the Financials icon in your MyBGSU portal.

Q. How does a student add, drop, or change the grading option on a course?

During the fall and spring regular sessions, a student may enroll in a course within seven calendar days from the beginning of classes; fourteen calendar days are allowed for a student to change the grading option without college approval or to drop a course with no record on the transcript. During other sessions, students may enroll in courses during the first three calendar days of a given session; five calendar days are allowed for a student to change the grading option or drop a course with no record on the transcript.

After the above deadlines, a student may choose to change the grade option for a course with the approval of the college in which they are enrolled. The student is responsible for filing a schedule change form in the college office on or before the last day of the 12th week of the regular fall or spring sessions. For all other sessions, the student is responsible for filing a schedule change form in the college office before the 80% completion date.

Q. How does a student withdraw from the University?

Withdrawing from university is a student initiated electronic process via their MyBGSU Student Center. It is an action which formally ceases participation and enrollment in all coursework for a given semester. This is an extreme choice, please encourage your student to meet with an academic advisor in the college office to determine if alternate options can be identified. Please refer to the “Withdraw from the University” section in the Undergraduate Catalog for complete information about the policy.

Q. Does my student need an internship to graduate from BGSU?

There are some academic programs that require an internship as part of their curriculum. The College of Arts and Sciences recommends highly that students take time for an internship. To assist with this process our Career Center offers the Falcon Internship Guarantee program. You can read more about this program at our Career Center web site:

Q. Will my student get a job when they graduate?

One of the most often asked questions by parents and families is whether their student will be able to secure a job when their education is completed. While there are no guarantees to securing a position after obtaining a baccalaureate degree, BGSU’s Career Center has a lot of helpful information about the major decision and job search process.

Additionally the College of Arts and Sciences provides each of our students, a free subscription to an online digital portfolio called “Portfolium”. Arts and Sciences has partnered with this company so our student have the opportunity to showcase their academic and extracurricular accomplishment to future employers.

Q. What is Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act 1974 (FERPA)?

Congress passed the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, on August 21, 1974 to protect the privacy of student education records.  Within the context of higher education, FERPA provides students the right to review these records and prohibits unauthorized dissemination of educational information by the institution or its employees.  BGSU, like most institutions of higher education, falls under FERPA regulations and is obligated to develop policies for the protection and restricted dissemination of records related to each student’s education (FERPA n.d.).

Q. Will I have access to my student’s educational records?

BGSU allows students to share selected financial and grade transactions with a designated proxy through ACCESS BGSU . If you want to speak with an Academic Advisor about your student’s academic records in the college office your student can grant permission for a conversation by completing am Arts and Sciences FERPA permission form in the college office.

Q. Can I see the financial and grade information for my student?

Select financial and grade information is viewable by designated proxies assigned by each student through ACCESS BGSU. Information about becoming a proxy is at the following web site: .

Q. What is ACCESS BGSU ( )?

ACCESS BGSU allows students to share selected financial and grade transactions with a designated proxy.

Q. What does it mean that my student is in good standing?

Good standing is an academic progress term. If your student is in good standing it means that they have a cumulative BGSU grade point average of at least a 2.00.

Q. What is Unsatisfactory Academic Progress?

Unsatisfactory academic progress means that the student does not have a cumulative BGSU grade point of at least a 2.00. Unsatisfactory academic progress categories are progressive depending on the student’s class standing and cumulative BGSU grade point average. Each standing has corresponding penalties or conditions for students to be allowed to continue their studies at BGSU. Consult the Undergraduate Catalog for complete details regarding academic warning, academic probation, academic suspension, and academic dismissal standings.

Q. I don’t recognize the grade my student received.

Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog at the following web site:

Q. What happens if my student earns a “D” or “F” in a course?

The grade of D is a passing grade in most instances but some departments do require a “C” or better to advance in a course sequence. This information can be found on the checksheet for the degree program or in the Undergraduate Catalog. Students may elect to retake the course. Please refer to the “Retaking a Course” section in the Undergraduate Catalog for complete information.

Q. If a student earns an “F” in a course, can he or she repeat that course at another university?

He/she can retake the course at another university but the grade will not be used for grade point improvement at BGSU.

Q. Is it possible for a student to receive an “F” in a course in which he or she has registered in the S/U grading option?

Yes. If he/she stops attending the course without following proper procedures to drop the course or to withdraw from the University, the instructor may assign the grade of “F” for non-attendance. This “F” is calculated in his or her GPA.

Q. What courses can my student take in the “S/U” (commonly called pass/fail) grading option?

He/she can elect to take 16 hours during the academic career in the “S/U” grading option (commonly referred to pass/fail) not computed in term or cumulative grade point average. No major or minor courses in the College of Arts & Sciences can be taken in the “S/U” format and “C” or better is required to receive the grade of “S”. If the student stops attending the course without formally withdrawing their grade will be reported and calculated as an “F”.

Q. How can my student stay on a four year graduation path?

The College of Arts & Sciences anticipates, prepares, and assists your student in taking the responsibility of designing and following a four year academic plan. Successfully completing 15-17 hours each semester, utilizing the checksheet, Degree Audit Report and attending regular meetings with Academic Advisors and Faculty Mentors will facilitate your student’s four year graduation plan.

Q. How many hours are needed for graduation?

A minimum of 122 semester hours are required for all baccalaureate degrees. At least 40 hours of the total 122 hours must be completed at the 3000/4000 level.

Q. How does my student apply for graduation?

Students can apply for graduation electronically through their MyBGSU Student Center during the first two weeks of the semester in which the student intends to graduate. Paper graduation applications after this date can be filed in the college office.  Questions regarding graduation can be directed to the College of Arts and Sciences at 419-372-2015 or to the Office of Registration and Records at 419-372-8435.

Q. What is a graduation check?

A graduation check is the review of a student’s final semester of classes to determine whether all remaining degree requirements will be completed if all in progress courses are successfully completed.

Q. Does my student need to declare a major? When and where?

Every student needs to declare a major and most likely will need a minor. Majors and minors should be declared in the college by the beginning of the third semester of classes. However, some majors are very sequential and need to be declared before the first semester begins to ensure a four year graduation timeline. Students should check with their academic advisor for details.

Q. How do students change their major within the College of Arts & Sciences?

Students should go to the college office and complete a Change in Major or Minor Form. This form is also available in a fillable format on the College of Arts & Sciences web site . We strongly suggest that students meet with an advisor before changing their major to make sure that they are aware of all ramifications and options.

Q. How can a student declare a double major, dual degree, or an intra-college dual degree?

Submitting paperwork in the college office is required. Students double majoring, complete two majors and earn one degree. Dual majors complete two undergraduate degrees from two different colleges and intra-college dual degree aspirants complete two undergraduate degrees from the College of Arts & Sciences. Each of these choices has very specific requirements that need to be completed and students must consult with an advisor before declaring in the college office.

Q. Does every student need a minor?

Most majors require a minor but it is best to consult the Undergraduate Catalog . Students declare their minor in the college office. Intercollegiate Minor Note (minors offered by another college): Student may earn a minor that is offered in another college without having to earn a degree from that college. The Undergraduate Catalog will have detailed information about these minor options.

Q. How does my student change colleges at BGSU?

To begin the process he/she should contact the college office of his/her intended major and complete a College Transfer Form. This form is available in fillable form on the College of Arts & Sciences web site.

Q. My student is having a hard time adjusting or coping with stress. Is there someone they can talk to?

The Professional Academic Advising staff in the college office is happy to meet with your student in an appointment to discuss study strategies, time management, or coping mechanisms. BGSU also has a Counseling Center on campus that he/she can visit to receive support: . The College of Arts & Sciences has a licensed counselor that serves as a liaison for the college but your student is welcome to visit with anyone on this professional staff.

Q. My student has a learning/physical/medical disability. What services can they access on campus?

We recommend that he/she visit our Accessibility Services office for complete information about the services they offer.