How to Apply to Graduate Studies in Spanish
Prospective students for the MA or Dual MA programs should:
- Have an undergraduate major in Spanish or
- Have a Spanish minor with at least 20 semester hours of credit beyond the intermediate level and a record of study in a Spanish-speaking country or
- Be heritage or native speakers of the Spanish language.
- Note: Applicants who do not meet these requirements may be admitted in exceptional circumstances.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Completing an application for the program will allow you to be considered for financial support. Note the Dual degree applicants must also follow all departmental-level application instructions for the other program. The policy of the Department of Romance and Classical Studies is to begin reviewing completed applications on February 15, and to continue reviewing later applications on a rolling basis until enrollment is full.
You must complete an online application for admission to the Graduate College that will include:
- Application fee
- Transcripts, as per instructions in the on-line form
- GRE. For information about the GRE and how to register for the exam, see: http://www.ets.org/gre
- A personal statement in Spanish: The statement should include your motivation for applying to graduate school, why you see yourself as qualified for admission to this program, what you hope to achieve in your area of interest, and your aspirations following the receipt of the graduate degree.
- A writing sample in Spanish: The writing sample should be an academic paper that you wrote in Spanish and that you believe reflects your potential for graduate-level study.
- Three  letters of recommendation. At least one of these recommendations should be from someone who will comment on your proficiency in Spanish. At least one should comment on previous and potential academic performance. Note that indicating on the form that you waive your right to see the letters is seen by the evaluation committee in a positive light.
- Optional additional materials. The on-line application allows you to submit additional documents if you would like, such as a resume.
For any questions regarding the application, please contact the Graduate Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org