BGSU Students at DataFest 2018 at
"We R BGSU Data Science"
REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) Opportunities
What is DATA SCIENCE?
Data Science is a new area of specialization being offered at Bowling Green State University. This field integrates math, statistics, and computer science to prepare for the rapidly expanding need for data scientists. We have undergraduate, master's, and PhD programs at Data Science. This page is about the undergraduate program. Follow this link to read about the master's and PhD programs in Data Science at BGSU.
The undergraduate program in Data Science is a specialization of the Mathematics major, and is offered by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Undergraduate students seeking to pursue studies in Data Science should declare a mathematics major as entering freshmen, in anticipation of completing the specialization in years three and four.
The development of this program is supported by a the grant from the National Science Foundation: EXTREEMS-QED: Computational Mathematics and Statistics (COMAST) Program with principal investigators Professor Jim Albert and Professor Maria Rizzo from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at BGSU.
Special features of the undergraduate Data Science program:
- Data Science Program Requirements
- Catalog Description and Link to Requirements Checksheet
- Data Science curriculum guide
- Courses in computer programming and computing with data
- Courses in statistical learning methods
- Learn methods for exploring data and visualizing of data
- Capstone experience to obtain hands-on experience with real-life data from an applied discipline such as geography, biology, computer science, linguistics, geology, etc.
Requirements to apply for this program for incoming freshmen:
- Admitted to Bowling Green State University
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 High School GPA
- Recommended minimum composite score of 23 on the ACT composite
Learn more about Big Data and Opportunities
- Become a Data Scientist in 8 Easy Steps
- THIS is Statistics
- So You Want to be a Data Scientist?
- Data Scientists Needed: Why This Career is Exploding Right Now
- Is Data Science Your Next Career?
- Career of the Future: Data Science
- The Big Data Employment Boom
For more information and to apply for the Data Science scholarship, contact
Professor Jim Albert
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403