News & Events
Cultural and program events and other news
|Surviving the holocaust: Martin Lowenberg shares his story. BTSU206 April 26, 1:30 pm. Event flyer|
|The Day of Darkness: a radio play performance about refugees, family life, and the difficulty one family faces in Europe as they wait for a better tomorrow. BTSU 318 April 19, 7-8:30 pm. Event flyer|
|College of Musical Arts presents the St. John Passion (performance in German and English) on April 9 (Toledo) and April 14 (Bowling Green). Event flyer
|The Russian program hosted the seventh annual Olympiada of Spoken Russian on 25 February. Colleges from around the state took part. News story and results|
The Department of German, Russian and East Asian Languages and the College of Arts and Sciences in cooperation with the Max Kade Foundation Presents a Reading in German and Englishby Max Kade Writer in Residence Martin Amanshauser Novelist, poet, and journalist Martin Amanshauser (Vienna, Austria) has published several novels, a book of poetry, and many travel essays. He will read in German from his latest novel Der Fisch in der Streichholzschachtel (Fisch in a Matchbox), his poetry, and his essays. Dr. Geoff Howes will read his English translations. Event flyer.
Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 7:30-9:00 p.m. Grounds for Thought, 174 S. Main St., Bowling Green
Further information: email@example.com
|Summer 2017||Summer study abroad in Russia||Support Russia study abroad. BGSU Summer Russia participants seek your support for the summer 2017 program. Click here to support!|
|May 4, 2017||Maifest||
BTSU Student Union
|Maifest (Austria's Labor Day) is celebrated at BGSU by hosting a competition between local high schools. The competitions include skits and videos and will be judged according to different categories. There will also be a German culture quiz with teams of 5 from each school participating. Come join in on the fun!
Click here for competition guidelines.
|Thursdays||Stammtisch||6:30PM||See flyer for details|
|AY 2016-2017||Scholarships||-||The applications for all scholarships are now available at bgsu.academicworks.com.|
|Spring 2017||Max Kade Writer in Residence
||-||Martin Amanshauser will be the spring 2017 Max Kade Writer in Residence. To see his web page, click here.|
|AY 2016-2017||College Credit Plus||-||Faculty members welcome College Credit Plus students in culture and language courses and look forward to cooperating with colleagues and students this year at Anthony Wayne H.S., Elmwood H.S., and Van Wert H.S.|
|-||U.S. Air Force ROTC scholarships||-||Available to students in the Russian Language major program. Air Force ROTC students taking certain language courses (including German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese) may be eligible for a bonus stipend, even if it is not their major of study. Members of the military may be entitled to additional benefits once on active duty for certain levels of proficiency in various languages. Contact the BGSU AFROTC office for more information.|
|AY 2017-2018||Study Abroad with GREAL||-||
Apply for study abroad programs in Austria, China, Japan, and Russia!
Summer and short-term programs are available as well.
- On October 19, Oktoberfest at BGSU was held in the Student Ball Room. BG Falcon Media covered the event.
- On October 16, an Evening of Russian Romances and Poetry was held in the Bryan Recital Hall.
- On October 5, The German American Day Celebration was held in the Wood County Historical Center & Museum.
- On October 5, Embracing Global Engagement was held in the BTSU building.
- The 2016 AYA Austria Newsletter is available online here.
- Japanese program faculty member Akiko Jones has been honored by Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs for her contributions to mutual understanding between the U.S. and Japan. LINK
- BGSU hosted Maifest 2016 on May 5. For a list of prize winners, click here.
- Russian Program and Club held 31st annual awards evening on April 21, 2016. Click here for pictures.
- Thanks to Peter Rosei, visting Max Kade Writer in Residence, who departed BGSU at the end of April 2016 after a successful stay.