Latino/a/x Issues Conference Awards
The Latino/a/x Issues Conference provides an amazing opportunity to highlight the issues facing the Latino/a/x community at BGSU. At every Latino/a/x Issues Conference, we take the time to highlight and recognize the achievements of faculty, staff, students, and community members have on the Latino/a/x community at BGSU. Therefore, we are soliciting nominations for faculty, staff, students, community members, and alumni that have had a positive contribution to the Latino/a/x community at Bowling Green State University community and beyond. We are soliciting nominations for the following awards:
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award is given to an undergraduate student member of the BGSU community who has empowered the Latino/a/x community
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award is given to a graduate student member of the BGSU community who has empowered the Latino/a/x community
- Outstanding Staff Award is given to a Classified or Administrative Staff Member of the BGSU community who has empowered the Latino/a/x community
- Outstanding Faculty Award is given to a Faculty Member of the BGSU community who has empowered the Latino/a/x community
- Outstanding Community-at-Large Award is given to a member of the local community who has empowered the Latino/a/x community
- Outstanding Alumni Award is given to a BGSU alumni who has empowered the Latino/a/x community
- Dr. Miguel Ornelas Award is given in honor of Dr. Miguel Ornelas, a former Human Relations Commission member and Director of Affirmative Action at BGSU. Before his death in 1989, Dr. Ornelas served as an advocate for issues of diversity, as head of the Ohio Hispanic Institute of Opportunity and as a member of the BGSU Graduate Student Senate, Third World Graduate Association, and La Union de Estudiantes Latinos. He was the recipient of the first Hispanic Award from Project Search. Dr. Ornelas touched the lives of all who came in contact with him. The Miguel Ornelas Award is intended to bring attention to the actions and services of those who reflect Dr. Ornelas' values.
All nominations are due December 1, 2017
We also encourage nominations to the Manny Vadillo Scholarship being organized by the Office of Multicultural Affairs.
We look forward to seeing you at the Annual Latino Issues Conference on March 21, 2018. For more information please go to: www.bgsu.edu/latinoissues
Respectfully, the Latino/a/x Issues Conference Awards Committee
--Artwork on this page by LIC 2018 Keynote Speaker Favianna Rodriguez