Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management
College of Education and Human Development
109 Eppler Center, 419-372-6905
The mission of the Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management Program at Bowling Green State University is to prepare students for skilled, innovative and productive careers in the Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management field. As the premier program in Ohio with an extensive curriculum and research agenda, our nationally accredited program provides a high quality, student-centered educational experience from the curriculum involving practical, applied, and experiential learning opportunities.
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management are expected to:
- Illustrate essential business functions of lodging, hospitality services, and event management.
- Synthesize the interrelationships among political/legal, economic, social and environmental factors and hospitality operations.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Identify a variety of types and formats of information sources, select appropriate search tools to find the needed information, and cite the sources.
- Evaluate operating results and apply the results in decision-making.
- Utilize critical thinking skills in problem solving.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and competencies in customer service.
The program has been accredited by the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA).
- Declare your intent to be a Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management major at the Office of Student and Academic Services for the College of Education and Human Development (102 Education Building, phone: 419-372-7372). This office can assist in planning your initial courses for the Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management major. Declare any minors at this office also.
- After declaring your intent to major at the Office of Student and Academic Services for the College of Education and Human Development, a faculty advisor will be assigned and you must meet the following matriculation requirements for entry into the Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management major:
- Complete THEM 1900, THEM 2100, and THEM 2150 with a 2.50 average.
- Complete 30-32 hours of BG Perspective.
Other program requirements
A minor is recommended. Minors in General Business, International Business, Entrepreneurship, Journalism, Advertising, and Marketing are acceptable. Any other minor must be approved by your academic advisor and Program Coordinator. If, after completion of THEM requirements and the minor requirements, a student has not met the 122 required hours, they must meet with their academic advisor to determine appropriate classes to reach the required 122 hours.
Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management major - Spring 2020 course requirements
Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management minor:
- Recreation minor (21 hours) - Spring 2020 course requirements
Updated: 04/02/2020 10:53AM