Admission as Music Major or Minor
College of Musical Arts
Incoming freshmen or transfer students who fall into one or more of the following categories are required to pass an entrance audition in their primary performance area prior to registration as a music major/minor.
- Students wishing to major in music through the B.M. degree in the College of Musical Arts or the B.A. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Students who wish to minor in music and are enrolled in any BGSU college.
- Students from any college at BGSU who wish to be considered for a Music Talent Award from the College of Musical Arts.
- Students from any college at BGSU who wish to enroll for private music lessons for credit. (Non-credit applied music lessons are available through the Creative Arts Program without an audition.)
- Students who wish to major in composition must also submit a portfolio of works before or at the time of their entrance audition.
Students auditioning to be majors or minors are required to take a diagnostic examination in general musicianship to determine placement in music theory courses. A study guide is available from the College of Musical Arts admissions office prior to the examination. Students will be notified of the results of their audition and the diagnostic examination approximately three weeks following their audition.
There may be additional requirements to be fully accepted into your major within music. Applicants with performance skills in other areas are encouraged to audition in those areas as well.
Entrance auditions prior to enrollment are not required for students who do not fall into one of the five categories listed above.
Information regarding auditions, personal interviews, and tours of the Moore Musical Arts Center may be obtained by contacting the coordinator of music admissions at 419-372-8577 or by visiting the college's Web page at www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts.html. For information about other University entrance/placement examinations, see Admissions Policies.
Updated: 12/01/2017 10:36PM