College of Arts and Sciences
212 East Hall, 419-372-2576
Enrollment in the creative writing major is dependent upon an ACT score of 22 or higher in reading, or consent of the creative writing staff. To continue on into the 3000- and 4000-level workshop classes, successful completion of a portfolio and interview are required. A creative writing major must produce a senior thesis and give a senior reading of the thesis work.
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in creative writing are expected to:
- Use writing effectively—including current modes and evolving techniques and technologies—to explore subject matter and to communicate;
- Develop understanding of subject matter in relation to larger historical and/or cultural contexts, including multicultural contexts;
- Make connections between theory and practice. Students apply theory to understand texts, solve problems, and teach effectively. Students generalize from experiences with texts, communication situations, and teaching situations;
- Develop skills of creative and/or critical thinking.
Major, Bachelor of Fine Arts (42 hours) - minor required - Fall 2022 course requirements
Out of the four required 3000/4000-level workshops, the student must have at least one in both genres.
The minor in Creative Writing teaches students to engage with the world both critically and creatively. The 2000-level courses provide a foundation of craft in both poetry and fiction. At the upper division, students can choose to specialize in either fiction or poetry, or can continue in both genres. Courses in the study of modern and contemporary fiction and poetry provide an intellectual, cultural, and artistic background in the literature of these influential periods. The studio workshops at all levels emphasize experiential learning: invention, drafting, peer-critiquing, and close editing with publication in mind.
- ENG 99 (0) must complete 2 semesters
- ENG 2050 and 2060 (6)
- ENG 2040, 2090 (6)
- ENG 3120 or 3130 (3)
- ENG 4120, 4130, 4140, 4250, or 4350 (3)
- ENG 3200, 3230 (3)
- ENG 3300, 3330, or 3450 (3)
Updated: 03/07/2023 11:32AM