Acceptable Collegiate Sources for Credit Transfer

Universities and colleges with accreditations or that are candidates for accreditation by one of the regional accrediting associations, and colleges and universities in foreign countries that hold official recognition in the specific country in which located:

  • Credit awarded may be exact BGSU course equivalent credit when a course is substantially the same as an existing BGSU course. (Example: History of U.S. to Civil War = History 2050);
  • When a course for which transfer credit is requested has no equivalent in the same department at BGSU, credit may be awarded in that department but with no course number assigned. (Example: History of India = history elective);
  • When the course is in a department not existing at BGSU, credit may be awarded in a different department. (Example: anthropology assigned to sociology, some photography courses assigned to art or technology);
  • Credit may be deferred when equivalency cannot be determined by the Office of Registration and Records. Procedures exist for the further evaluation of deferred credit by faculty members in an appropriate department.

Bowling Green State University does not generally accept transfer credit from institutions lacking accreditation from one of the six regional accrediting agencies . However, such transfer of credit is possible, particularly if the originating institution has accreditation from a disciplinary-based accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

Typically, courses may be validated only from within the discipline for which the originating institution is accredited.

  • Credit may be accepted only upon the recommendation of the specific department/school/program and college in which the coursework is offered;
  • Decisions about validation of courses should be based on demonstrated student competencies, rather than on a comparison of syllabi or course descriptions. The specific means for determining competencies will be up to the individual department, school, or program, with college-level approval.

Updated: 03/07/2023 11:31AM