College of Education and Human Development
109 Eppler Center, 419-372-6905
The Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management major focuses on the study of administration in the tourism and leisure industries, which encompasses components of travel, lodging, attractions, events, and conventions. A specified sequence of coursework has been carefully developed to facilitate communication, decision-making, entrepreneurial, problem solving, organizational, leisure and wellness operations, interpersonal and leadership skills to be able to evaluate and manage all aspects of the Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management operation. Coursework is interspersed with field experiences within classes, as practicum and with an in-depth, 15-week internship as a capstone experience.
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management are expected to:
- Plan, assess, and evaluate diversified programming and special events for diverse leisure services delivery systems;
- Integrate theory and practice in administration/management, legislative, and legal aspects of leisure and tourism planning;
- Demonstrate a broad-based education background to enhance quality of life, to function more effectively in society, and provide an educational base from which professional competencies can evolve.
The program has been accredited by the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA).
- Require a 2.25 overall GPA;
- Complete THEM1900, 2100, and 2150 with a 2.50 average;
- Complete 30-32 hours of BG Perspective courses;
- Maintain a 2.5 major GPA to be eligible for field experience work (THEM 3870, 4870, and 4880)
Other program requirements
A minor is recommended. Minors in General Business, International Business, Entrepreneurship, Journalism, and Marketing are acceptable. Any other minor must be approved by your academic advisor and Division Chair. If, after completion of THEM requirements and the minor requirements, a student has not met the 122 required hours, they must meet with their academic advisor to determine appropriate classes to reach the required 122 hours.
Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management major - Fall 2021 course requirements
Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management minor:
- Recreation minor (21 hours) - Fall 2021 course requirements
Updated: 11/15/2021 12:43PM