Print Media Major
Karen Black, program director
The Visual Media Technology Program offers practical and theoretical instruction for students interested in the print and multimedia industries. As electronic media in business and industry continues to grow, so will employment opportunities within these fields. Creative talents are exercised through extensive hands-on computer laboratory experiences and supplemented with theoretical lectures. The Visual Media Technology program offers two majors in the degree program: Interactive Media and Print Media. After successful completion of the Associate of Applied Business in Visual Media Technology, students may continue their education at BGSU Firelands by pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Technology with a major in Visual Communication Technology. This degree is granted through the College of Technology.
Print Media major - Fall 2021 course requirements
Print media is everywhere. Newspapers, directories, magazines, newspaper inserts, catalogs, and business forms are encountered every day in our professional and personal pursuits. The Print Media major provides an understanding of the processes used in the design, preparation, and printing of product. Graduates will be prepared for employment in pre-production processes such as page layout and graphic design. In addition, students will be employable as press operators and, with experience, may advance to front-line supervision. Graduates may also be employed in jobs related to the sale of printing equipment and supplies.
Graduates from the program will possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Proficiency in written, verbal, and non-verbal presentation and communication skills;
- Proficiency in different print processes, including offset and screen printing;
- Proficiency in the pre-production process, including page layout, desktop publishing, graphic design, and color management;
- Proficiency in industry-standard page layout software tools;
- Knowledge of team-building skills and demonstrated proficiency at teamwork within a business and industry environment.
Updated: 11/15/2021 12:30PM