COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
111 Health and Human Services, 419-372-8724
Graduates who successfully complete the ACEND-accredited undergraduate didactic dietetics program at Bowling Green State University are eligible to apply to an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program (also called a Dietetic Internship) after graduation. Graduates of the undergraduate dietetics program will want to consider opportunities to gain a master's degree in order to be eligible to apply to take the CDR credentialing exam to become an RDN by the year 2024. Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master's degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). In addition, CDR requires that individuals complete coursework and supervised practice in program(s) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Once all requirements are met to become an RDN, a graduate can be eligible for licensure in states that require licensure.
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in dietetics are expected to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of biological, chemical and physical science concepts and apply these concepts to food and nutrition science.
- Evaluate food and nutrition science problems using critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Formulate effective oral and written communications pertinent to food, nutrition, and clinical dietetics.
- Demonstrate competency using a variety of techniques and instruments to investigate food and nutrition science problems.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate nutrition interventions and programs for individuals as well as groups using nutritional assessment and diagnosis techniques.
Content: (94 - 105 hours) - Fall 2020 course requirements
*Program approval status: The Didactic Program in Dietetics is accredited until February, 2020, by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, located at 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190 Chicago, IL 60606-6995, (312) 899-0040 ext. 5400 http://www.eatrightPRO.org/ACEND