Transfer Admissions

Students who have attempted 12 or more hours, excluding remedial or developmental courses since high school, at a college or university other than Bowling Green State University, are considered transfer applicants. Transfer students must have a minimum accumulative grade point average (GPA), among all schools, of 2.0 or better on a 4-point scale. Some transfer students may be eligible for admissions priority, including:

  • Ohio residents with an associate degree, a completed Ohio Transfer Module, and a GPA of 2.0 for all previous college-level courses have admissions priority over out-of-state associate degree graduates and transfer students.
  • Associate degree holders who do not have a completed Ohio Transfer Module will be eligible for preferential admissions if they have a GPA of at least 2.0 for all previous college-level courses.
  • Students who are not enrolled in A.A., A.S. or Applied Associate degree programs but who have earned 60 semester or 90 quarter hours or more of credit toward a baccalaureate degree with a GPA of at least 2.0 for all previous college-level courses will be eligible for preferential consideration for admission as transfer students.

Admission to the University does not guarantee admission into a specific college or major/program. Students not only transfer into the University but also, eventually, into a specific college and major/program within the University. Those colleges and majors/programs may have additional requirements (including higher GPAs, courses, etc.) to those required for admission to the University. Prospective transfer students should consult college advisors for advice about curricular planning and about college policies that may affect their academic career.

Transfer students must demonstrate competence in English/writing, mathematics, and reading through course credit or placement exams before advancing to degree completion. Main campus students should contact the Office of Student Orientation, Advision & Registration for more information about placement. BGSU Firelands students should contact Academic and Student Services for information about placement exams.

A transfer student who wishes to enroll at BGSU as an undergraduate must submit the following:

  • Application for admission and non refundable application fee;
  • Official transcripts of credit for each college or university the student has attended, including unaccredited institutions. Transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. Failure to indicate previous college attendance may result in refusal of admission, no transfer of credit, and/or expulsion from the University if discovered subsequently;
  • Transfer students who have completed less than 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours), will also need official final high school transcript or equivalent sent from the school by the high school counselor or principal. Note, however, that although a high school transcript may not be required for admission, a student may need to provide a transcript for other reasons (for example, to document a request for waiver of certain degree requirements).

For more information about admissions procedures and instructions, please see the Office of Admissions. If you are admitted to the University, you will also receive an evaluation of your transfer credits. Please see the transfer credit policy for more information.

Updated: 01/19/2022 08:07AM