Accessibility Services Complaint Procedure

Step 1:  Accessibility Specialist

You should discuss your concern(s) with your assigned Accessibility Specialist.  If a satisfactory solution is not reached, you can proceed to the second step, a written appeal to the Director of Accessibility Services.  In general, issues that proceed to the next step include the following:

  • Procedural error by the Accessibility Services staff
  • Violation of policy by the Accessibility Services staff
  • Eligibility for services criteria
  • Appropriateness of accommodations
  • Reasonableness of accommodations
  • Mitigating circumstances

Step 2:  Director of Accessibility Services

The Director of Accessibility Services must receive your appeal within 15 working days following the outcome of the first step, described above. Your written appeal to the Director of Accessibility Services must include:

  1. A description of the issue including significant dates
  2. The basis for the appeal and any supporting documentation as necessary
  3. The resolution requested

After the Director receives your concern(s) you may expect a thorough review including but not limited to any of the following:

  1. An interview
  2. A review of relevant written materials
  3. Interviews with relevant individuals
  4. A written response from the Director within 15 working days of the date that the appeal was received. University breaks such as spring break or inter-semester breaks are not included in these time frames.

If you disagree with the findings or the resolution offered by the Director, you can appeal to the Office of Human Resources.

Step 3:  Office of Human Resources – EEO/Compliance

Human Resources is located in the Huntington Building at 1851 N. Research Drive. The EEO/Compliance contacts can be reached at 419-372-8421 or  

When filing a final appeal with the Office of Human Resources EEO/Compliance Team, you should provide:

  1. Your written appeal and supporting documentation
  2. The response to your appeal from the Director of Accessibility Services

NOTE:  Concerns involving administrative or staff actions, policies, and procedures that are beyond the responsibility of the Office of Accessibility Services should follow the applicable Bowling Green State University Grievance procedures.  Please contact Human Resources for additional information.

Step 4:  Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education

Filing a Section 504/ADA complaint with the responsible federal agency does not impair your right to a prompt and equitable resolution of your complaint.  To pursue your complaint with the regional agency, you may contact:

Regional Office XII

Michigan, Ohio

Office for Civil Rights, Cleveland Office

U.S. Department of Education
600 Superior, East
Bank One Center, Room 750
Cleveland, OH 44114-2611
Phone: 216-522-4970
Fax: Fax: 216-522-2573

TDD:  816-891-0582