Apparel Merchandising and Product Development
If the fast-paced challenges of fashion merchandising excite you, the Apparel Merchandising and Product Development is something you want to explore. This comprehensive program, ranked in the nation's top 50, focuses on preparing you for a professional career in fashion. It's a field much broader than most people realize, with graduates working in everything from textiles and merchandising to product development, CAD and brand representation. You'll work alongside our highly respected faculty who focus on your education through a combined approach of learning, discovery, collaboration and personal growth.
Our faculty will help you:
- understand the process and mathematical calculations used to plan and control profits and inventories in textile and apparel business
- demonstrate competency in technical skills involved in the apparel product development processes
- understand the impact of, and apply technology to, product development, merchandising, production and selection of textile and apparel products
- understand the relationship between culturally diverse consumers and the consumer behavior process to achieve success in apparel business
Internships and Careers
Our students complete internships with merchants, product developers and retailers at store and corporate levels.
Required co-ops and internships mean that you will graduate with at least two professional experiences
Average Starting Salary & BGSU Placement Rate
$37,749 — BGSU Apparel Merchandising and Product Development graduates average starting salary
98% of Apparel Merchandising and Product Development graduates report they're employed, in graduate school or starting a business within six months of graduation
GO FAR in your career
- Merchandise buyer
- Visual merchandiser
- Product developer
- Fashion stylist
- Textile manager
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Apparel Merchandising and Product Development are expected to be able to:
- Plan textile and apparel product lines to meet target market needs using the product development process.
- Evaluate apparel industry processes in which products are developed, produced, marketed, sold, and consumed in the global economy.
- Formulate solutions to apparel and textile global problems as evidence of critical and creative thinking skills.
- Evaluate issues of personal and social responsibility, professional behavior, and ethics related to the impact of individual, organizational, and corporate decision making.
Bowling Green State University [BGSU] is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. BGSU has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 01/01/1916. The most recent reaffirmation of accreditation was received in 2012 - 2013. Questions should be directed to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The Apparel Merchandising and Product Development program will go through its next Program/Cluster Review during the Academic Year 2021-22. More information.
Bowling Green State University programs leading to licensure, certification and/or endorsement, whether delivered online, face-to-face or in a blended format, satisfy the academic requirements for those credentials set forth by the State of Ohio.
Requirements for licensure, certification and/or endorsement eligibility vary greatly from one profession to another and from state to state. The Apparel Merchandising and Product Development program does not lead to professional licensure.
Under the Higher Education Act Title IV disclosure requirements, an institution must provide current and prospective students with information about each of its programs that prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
The Apparel Merchandising and Product Development program is not a recognized occupation that requires a Gainful Employment disclosure.