Class Wait List
What Are Wait Lists?
A Wait List is a list that students can join and wait for open seats in a class.
Watch the Class Wait List video to learn more. Please view in full screen by clicking the box at the bottom right of the video.
How Do Students Join A Wait List for A Class?
When registering for classes, if the student is attempting to add a class that is full, the student has the option of selecting the Wait List button on the course registration page to be included on the Wait List for the course. After the student has added the class as a Wait List, the class will appear as Wait Listed on the student's schedule. The student may see what number they are on the Wait List by consulting the List View of their schedule.
Do All Courses Utilize A Class Wait List?
Not all courses utilize a Wait List. If the course does not include a Wait List, it is the responsibility of the student to contact the academic department that offers the course. If you know the college to which the academic program belongs, search using the links below. If you do not know which college to which the academic program belongs, use the search feature at top right corner of the website.
College of Arts & Sciences - Departments and Programs
College of Business Administration - Departments and Programs
College of Education & Human Development - Departments and Programs
College of Health & Human Services - Departments and Programs
College of Musical Arts - Departments & Programs
College of Technology, Architecture, & Applied Engineering - Departments and Programs
HOW DO STUDENTS GET ADDED TO A CLASS FROM A WAIT LIST?
If a registered student drops the class, the next eligible student on the Wait List will be enrolled in the class. The Wait List is an automatic process that runs once every 24 hours through the Office of Registration and Records. If added to a course from the class Wait List, the Office of Registration and Records will notify the student via their BGSU email account within 24 hours once the term begins. It is the student’s responsibility to review their class schedule for accuracy prior to the start of the term.
WAIT LIST ELIGIBILITY, RULES, & REGULATIONS
Students on a Wait List will only be enrolled in the course if they meet all course and credit hour eligibility requirements. Wait List eligibility requirements are outlined as follows:
- The Wait List system will bypass a student if they are already enrolled in a different section of the same class.
- The Wait List system will bypass a student if the class creates a time conflict in their schedule.
- The Wait List system will bypass a student if they do not meet the pre-requisites for the class. If the department gives permission, the department will need to manually enroll the student in the class when a spot becomes available.
- The Wait List system will bypass a student if enrolling them in the class will take their schedule over 18 credit hours, unless the student has received prior approval from their College office. Please refer to the list of college departments above for contact information.
- If a student is Wait Listed for multiple sections of the same class, all other sections will be dropped as soon as the student is enrolled in one of the Wait Listed sections.
- If a student is on a Wait List, the Wait List class does not count towards credit hours and full-time student status.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO JOIN A CLASS WAIT LIST?
Students can add themselves to a Wait List prior to classes beginning for the term. The Wait List system will attempt to enroll a student through the “Last Day to Add classes without college permission” deadline. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates.
CLASS WAIT LIST AND FIRST DAY ATTENDANCE POLICY
Students on a Wait List are encouraged to attend the first day of the class, even if they are not officially enrolled. These students may be allowed to enroll in the class if empty seats are available in the classroom. Please see the department for further information.
For more information about the First Day Attendance Policy, please click here.