Bowling Green State University
Strategic Goals and Tactics 2013-14
Goal 1: Engage undergraduate students in a unique BG learning experience that fosters engaged citizenship, global leadership and career preparedness which will lead to life-long success.
- Create the “BG connection” designed to track undergraduate learning experiences.
- Ensure career-related activities in all programs; provide opportunities for students to learn financial literacy; and provide academic advising to ensure students graduate in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all BGSU students have international learning opportunities in and outside of the classroom.
- Ensure all students have an opportunity for some type of experiential learning such as an internship, co-op or service learning placement, or a capstone experience.
Goal 2: Link graduate programs strategically to scholarship and research pursuits.
- Connect academic assets and student skills to the technical needs of the public, private, non-profit or government sectors.
- Increase external funding from governmental organizations and from the private and non-profit sectors.
- Increase the number of accelerated bachelor’s/master’s degrees and professional master’s programs.
- Increase the number of interdisciplinary programs (forensics, data science, others ).
Goal 3: Expand academic, research, and public service partnerships with regional communities, the State of Ohio, and other universities; and with national and global private, nonprofit, and governmental entities.
- Develop research partnerships with international universities.
- Develop a regional collaborative network with other colleges and universities in central/northwest Ohio that focuses on workforce development, articulation agreements, etc.; take a leadership role in the Northwest Ohio Compact.
- Develop research and commercialization programs for corporate needs in the following areas: Sustainability and Energy, health and wellness, data mining and development, etc.
Goal 4: Advance global engagement through learning, discovery and service.
- Increase the international presence in NW Ohio through academic conferences, recruitment of international students, articulation agreements with international universities, study abroad opportunities, recruitment of international businesses, arts programming, and alumni base.
- Bring internationally recognized speakers, presenters, etc. to campus who can enrich the lives of faculty, staff and students and who can change perspectives.
- Design service learning opportunities around global engagement.
Goal 5: Build a campus and community that fosters diversity and inclusion.
- Work with campus units to increase the diversity of faculty and staff.
- Continue existing and/or design new programming to educate and inform BGSU community about diversity issues.
- Enhance articulation agreements with other institutions to make BGSU a more diverse community.
Goal 6: Enhance the well-being and quality of life of BGSU students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends.
- Encourage work-life balance for faculty, staff and students.
- Develop summer programming and camps for stakeholders of all ages.
- Ensure students, faculty, staff, alumni and others receive national and other awards.
Goal 7: Develop a physical, organizational, and financial infrastructure that ensures the short- and long-term success of the BG experience and enhances the development of the BG family.
- Implement next phases of Efficiency Task Force recommendations.
- Grow the student body to 25,000; maintain a retention rate of 80 percent.
- Implement the master plan.
- Implement the landscape plan.
- Plan and implement a comprehensive campaign.
- Create a spirit of entrepreneurism on and off campus and ensure efficiency and effectiveness of all operations.