You have big dreams—that’s why you chose BGSU. Pre-Major & Academic Planning is here to make sure you get the most out of your BGSU experience.
Turning Aspirations into Achievements
With the resources of Pre Major & Academic Planning, we are here to assist you in getting you on the right track. You will find the majors and classes that are right for you and making your dreams a reality. Our caring advisors are here to help you create an individualized academic plan and provide valuable resources to keep you focused on your goals.
Pre Major & Academic Planning strives to engage, educate, and empower students to achieve their academic and career goals by providing quality advising, programs, and services that foster:
- self-advocacy and full investment in their college experience;
- academic planning that aligns with students’ career and life goals;
- exploration and selection of academic majors and career options;
- course selection resulting in successful and timely degree completion;
- development of personalized strategies for academic success;
- utilization of the various university resources that aid in student success;
- compliance with academic policies and procedures; and
- development of study, self-management, and career planning skills.
Pre Major & Academic Planning aspires to be the preeminent center focused on progressive advising for all undergraduates to confidently explore areas of study, identify personal and professional goals, and effectively implement plans to reach those goals.
Meet with an Advisor
To make the most of the advising process, you should meet with your advisor before registering for classes each semester. You and your advisor share one common goal—to get and keep you on track for timely graduation and a rewarding career.
To schedule an appointment with your advisor, call Pre Major & Academic Planning (419) 372-8943. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please contact the Pre Major & Academic Planning office to cancel and allow other students to utilize this time.
As an advisee, you have clear responsibilities in the advising partnership in order
to be successful:
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contact with advisors during each semester
- Come to each appointment prepared with questions or material for discussion
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting your goals
- Organize official documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor
- Gather relevant decision-making information
- Clarify personal values and goals and provide advisor with accurate information regarding your interests and abilities
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures
- Become your own best self-advocate
- Invest completely in the educational process and accept responsibility for decisions
As an advisor, I can be expected to:
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures
- Encourage and support students as they gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans
- Provide students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus
- Assist students in understanding the purposes and goals of higher education and its effects on their lives and personal goals
- Monitor and accurately document students’ progress toward meeting their goals
- Be accessible for meeting with advisees via office hours for advising, telephone, e-mail, or web access
- Assist students in gaining decision making skills and skills in assuming responsibility for their educational plans and achievements
- Maintain confidentiality