Volunteer Job Descriptions
This is a list of the various volunteer opportunities available with the Office of Campus Sustainability, and a short description of each in order to assist you in determining how you might want to become involved in the green/sustainability effort at BGSU!
Friday Night Lights: Students help turn off lights in the academic buildings on campus to conserve energy over the weekend. Volunteers should know the following:
- Students meet at 6:30 PM on the second floor of the BTSU outside the theater;
- Volunteers get assigned to one or two academic buildings in groups of two to four students;
- The event lasts as long as the student groups take to turn off lights in their buildings(typically between 20-40 minutes);
- FNL volunteers can receive one service credit for attending;
- It is a common Resident Advisor program, Hall Council activity, and fraternity/sorority event.;
- Happens every Friday unless notified via e-mail (sign up to get on the e-mail list!)
Not only has Friday Night Lights has saved the University $25,000 in energy savings in just three years, but has raised awareness about the impact energy savings has on the university and has encouraged more mindful planning and design by implementing more energy conservation measures (such as efficient lighting, motion detectors, etc.) when remodeling existing buildings and the construction of new buildings on campus.
Green Tailgating: Volunteers assist with recycling and waste reduction efforts at any or all home football games. Jobs include:
- Helping to set up recycling containers/stations before the game in the stadium and tailgate area;
- Handing out recycling bags to falcon fans in the tailgate area and explaining the green tailgate process;
- Driving a golf cart around the tailgate or stadium area and assisting with pickup of full recycling bags;
- Sorting recycling commodities at the event headquarters truck in the tailgate area;
- Helping to pick up recycling containers when the game ends.
Be sure to indicate which home game and shift you are volunteering for. Shift one is about 2 hours before kickoff; shift 2 is from kickoff to the end of the game. Home football games are: 9/10, 9/17, 10/15, 10/22, 11/8, and 11/16.
Orange Bike Program:
- Volunteers assist with the following jobs:
- Taking donated bikes apart and painting them;
- Checking on condition of bikes at bike racks and helping to service them;
- Learning how to maintain and tune bikes;
- Promoting the bike program at special events;
- Assisting with inventory system
Individuals or organizations/groups can become involved in the Orange Bike program on a one time or a continuous basis. Individuals can come to weekly Friday afternoon work sessions at the Bike Garage anytime during the regular semester from 3:30pm to 6pm or can request a special work session. Watch the web site and facebook page for information on special work volunteer sessions also!
Re-Store volunteers are needed to do the following:
- Work in the store assisting customers, stocking shelves, and otherwise helping with the retail operation during store hours;
- Replenishing inventory in the store by assisting in transporting it from Harshman storage over to the store space in Kreischer Quad;
- Helping out with special events and sales;
- Marketing, publicity and advertising
Adopt A Park:
Campus Sustainability is a partner in the “Adopt a Park” program sponsored by the Wood County Park system. We assist the W.W. Knight Preserve in Perrysburg (click here) by providing student work crews on a monthly basis to help with the following:
- Trail maintenance;
- Debris removal and cleanup;
- Invasive species removal;
- Miscellaneous park maintenance jobs
Individuals or groups/organizations/classes may volunteer. At least two weeks of lead time is necessary and groups may need to provide their own transportation to the park which is about 20 minutes from BGSU.
The Office of Campus Sustainability can help you arrange a “green”/sustainability service project depending on what is available, the time of year, and the number of volunteers you have. Provide us with what you would be interested in working on and other details about your needs and we will attempt to put something together for you if possible.