When You Move Out, Don’t Throw It Out (WYMO) is one of BGSU’s largest community service projects, benefiting over two dozen charities annually, and hundreds of individuals, including local food pantries, shelters, service agencies, and non-profit organizations in need and is entering its 13th year at BGSU!
WYMO collects donations of clothing, food, personal items, electronics, household items, books, toys, sporting goods, games, small furniture, decorations, cleaning supplies…ANYTHING that anyone who is moving out of their residence hall or apartment is willing to donate!
Collection boxes are placed in residence hall lobbies, Greek houses, the Union, and the Outtakes convenience stores during the last week of classes and finals week, and items are collected and sorted with the assistance of volunteers.
- Collections occur at the end of the spring semester.
- Multiple tons of items get re-used and are diverted from the landfill each year!
- Volunteers are always welcome!
We need volunteers to:
- Pick up donated items from the collection boxes and bring them to the central collection room; (golf carts are used for this!)
- Sort the items once they are taken to the central collection room
- Organizations are asked to provide anywhere from 5 to 10 volunteers per pickup shift to go from building to building and collect donations, bringing them back to the Harshman Quad Community Room. Individuals may volunteer also.
- In addition or alternatively, Organizations and individuals can volunteer to sort items in the Community room during an afternoon or evening shift.
Annually, WYMO benefits over two dozen organizations
- Ashera's Garden
- Aurora Project
- Better World Books
- CASA Program
- Children's Resource Center
- Cocoon Shelter
- Cocoon Shelter Food Bank
- Defiance County Furniture Bank
- Easter Seals
- First Step Family Violence Intervention Center
- First United Methodist Church
- Fostoria Baptist Church
- Habitat for Humanity
- Human Society
- The Link
- Lutheran Home of Mercy
- Perrysburg Heights Community Association
- Salvation Army
- St. Aloysius Church
- St. Mark's Lutheran
- St. Vincent DePaul Society Food Pantry
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Many individual groups and families in need
If your organization would like to participate in WYMO 2014, please contact Dr. Nick Hennessy at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org in the Office of Campus Sustainability.