Bowling Green State University received a grant from Ohio Department of Natural Resources to promote recycling and waste reduction at university sporting events.
"Green Tailgating" is the main waste reduction initiative that takes place at every home football game.
Recent years have seen “Green Tailgating” expand in both participation by volunteers and fans alike as literally tons of recyclables are collected and kept out of the landfill
- An average of 20 student volunteers staffed every game!
- An all-time single game high weight of 8258 pounds (4.2 tons!) was achieved during Homecoming, October 15, 2011.
- Using containers provided by ODNR, collections sites were set up throughout the stadium concourses, tailgate area, and sky boxes of the stadium;
- Additionally, the volunteers handed out green recycling bags and collected them at the beginning of the game
Thanks to all our volunteers, and university partners, especially:
- BGSU intercollegiate athletics
- Forrest Creason Golf Course and the Department of Recreation & Wellness
- Falcon Sports Properties, Inc.
- BGSU Campus Operations, including Recycling, Grounds, and Solid Waste
- Coca Cola
Thank you to everyone who volunteered for the 2012 season. The end of season statistics on our recycling rates will be up soon!
If you are interested in helping out as a volunteer or sponsor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Tailgating Recycling Collection Weights
Fall Football Season, 2012
- September 8 – Idaho
- Weight Collected: 4020 lbs (2.01 tons)
- September 29- Rhode Island
- Weight Collected: 6840 lbs (3.42 tons)
- October 15 – Miami(Ohio)
- Weight Collected: 6000 lbs (3.0 tons)
- October 27 – Eastern Michigan
- Weight Collected: 3800 lbs (1.9 tons)
- November 15 – Kent State
- Weight Collected: 2020 lbs (1.01 tons)
2012 TOTAL: 23,031 lbs (11.52 tons)
2012 AVG: 4606 lbs (2.30 tons) per game
2011 AVG: 3654 lbs (1.83 tons) per game
2013's Green Tailgating Schedule:
- August 29- University of Tulsa
- September 21- Murray State University
- September 28- University of Akron
- October 5- University of Massachusetts
- October 26- University of Toledo
- November 12- Ohio University