Office of Campus Sustainability
American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment
The Presidents’ Climate Commitment is a document that is signed by the President of a university that commits the university to taking actions to achieve climate neutrality for the university. The PCC requires the following:
- Create a committee to oversee the implementation of the PCC
- Completing a greenhouse gas inventory of the university
- Creating a climate action plan within two years to reduce waste and eventually aim for carbon neutrality
- Creating a timeline for implementing the components of the climate action plan
- Incorporating sustainability into the curriculum
- Providing public access to all reports, progress, and achievements of the PCC
We have the need and the opportunity to restore environmental stewardship as a foundational principle of BGSU by becoming a signatory of the American Colleges and Universities Presidents Climate Commitment.
Net Impact lead a petition of support that gathered 1300 student signatures to show student support for the signing of the PCC. The signatures, along with a report, were sent to the president’s office in attempt to encourage BGSU President Mazey to sign the PCC.
In April 2012 a committee Selected by President Mazey submitted its draft of a Climate Action Plan. Read more about the trustees' approval of the climate commitment HERE.
BGSU President Mary Ellen Mazey signed the ACUPCC at 11:00AM on Campus Sustainability Day, October 24, 2012.
Read more about this in the ZoomNews.
More details on the University's progress with the PCC are to come.
After signing the commitment, BGSU selected four tangible actions to begin immediately. The four actions currently being implemented are as follows:
- Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
- Adopt an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
- Encourage use of and provide access to public transportation for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at our institution.
- Participate in the Waste Minimization component of the national RecycleMania competition, and adopt 3 or more associated measures to reduce waste.
For more information regarding the PCC, please visit: American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment.