Office of Service-Learning
Civic Action Leaders
|Current Civic Action Leaders||Past Civic Action Leader Cohorts|
The Civic Action Leaders (CALs) are a group of students passionate about community service and civic engagement. CALs work in the Office of Service-Learning as administrative interns with such tasks as: recruiting volunteers, providing leadership for the coordination of large service events such as the MLK Jr. Day of Service Challenge, publishing the Service Update, volunteer management for the BG Teen Central, and facilitating the Service Roundtable.
These activities help to foster civic action by increasing the visibility of service opportunities, while also creating new opportunities for BGSU faculty, students, and staff to engage in service. The program is a 3-year cohort, internship model with students applying in the spring of the first year and participating in the program during their sophomore, junior, and senior years. The program is committed to promoting social justice, examining community issues, and fostering personal and social responsibility.
Selected students receive a $600 book loan and a $2,450 scholarship applied to their bursar account each semester, for a total of $6,100 yearly. Students selected will be expected to commit 14 hours per week to the CAL Program. This scholarship is generously sponsored by the Bowling Green State University Bookstore. Dependant on funding, students are eligible for the CAL program for 3 years.
- Sophomore class standing as of Fall 2013 and intention to participate in the program for 3 years.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Demonstrated leadership potential.
- Commitment to and passion for community service and community-based learning.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check (completed after admission into the program).
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicants must be enrolled as a full-time student for both fall and spring terms of the award year.
- Students with limited involvement seeking to get more involved are encouraged to apply.
- S.M.A.R.T. Mentors and Resident Advisors are not eligible for this program due to training conflicts.
- Nursing majors are not eligible for this program due to senior year conflicts.
BGSU Civic Action Leaders Must...
- Be available for a Civic Action Leader retreat on Saturday, April 20, 2013
- Commit to weekly meetings on Wednesdays from 6pm-8pm for both fall and spring semesters.
- Return to BGSU one week prior to fall semester and 3 days prior to spring semester for training.
- Dedicate a total of 14 hours per week in the Office of Service-Learning.
- Possess basic computer skills, time management, writing/presentation skills, and be highly organized.
- Printed applications are DUE to the Office of Service-Learning, 315 University Hall, no later than 5pm Friday, January 25, 2013.
- Individual interviews will take place February 4-8, and group interviews will take place February 11-15.
- 2013-2014 Application
Questions can be directed to the Paul Valdez at
(419) 372-9865 or CALCoordinator@bgsu.edu
This program is made possible by sponsorship from the: