The Bowling Green Community
During the War of 1812, General Hull's army, en route from Dayton to Detroit, constructed a road from Fort Findlay north to the Maumee River. This road, the only north and south route for many years, passed through and helped create what is now the city of Bowling Green, Ohio.
Incorporated as a village in 1855, Bowling Green has experienced many changes. Residents thrived off of the farmland and soon business began to develop. Securing a State College for the city in 1910 and the H.J. Heinz plant in 1914 Bowling Green expanded into a small town city with endless possibilities.
The city of Bowling Green and Bowling Green State University form a closely integrated community. Bowling Green has a population of about 28,500, including students, and is the county seat of Wood County.
The city has a college town atmosphere. Bicycles are a popular mode of transportation for both students and residents. The city's center is at Wooster and Main Street, just a few blocks from the University.
Bowling Green complements the University by providing services and conveniences to the students and their families.
Visit the link below for more information about the City of Bowling Green and other points of interest.
- City of Bowling Green
- Bowling Green Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce
- Bowling Green Community Development Foundation
Some information regarding the history of the city of Bowling Green, Ohio was taken from the Sentinel-Tribune Newspaper Clippings 1983: Bowling Green Sesquicentennial.